55. If This Is How It Ends

"What do you guys think?" Elena asked, holding up two dresses on hangers. One was red, the other was blue.

"The blue," Caroline said. "It's so pretty!"

"Yeah," Bonnie agreed. "It'll look gorgeous on you."

"Serena?" Elena asked, waving both dresses in the air.

"Red," I said nonchalantly, not paying any particular attention. She could have been holding up two dead bodies for all I cared.

Steve and I had made a hasty return from New Orleans, and I hadn't spoken to any of the Mikaelsons since then. In fact, the only person that I'd kept in touch with was Davina.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I think I'll go with the red."

"What's the point of asking if you're just gonna ignore our choices?" Caroline asked.

"I just like the red better, OK?" Elena said defensively. "Anyway, I need to look my best, tonight has to go well."

"You're going on a date with Stefan, how could it not go well?" Bonnie asked.

Elena sighed. "It's... weird. Since I turned, Stefan and I have been kind of... distant."

"Distant how?" Bonnie asked.

"I don't know, just, further apart. Which is why this date tonight is so important."

"Well, talk to him. And if that doesn't work, rock his world with some vamp sex!" Caroline said with a dirty smirk.

"Ew, that's my brother!" I reminded them.

Caroline giggled. "Anyway, I have to go. My mom wanted to have lunch. Good luck Elena."

As soon as Caroline left, I decided to confide in Elena and Bonnie, aka two of the only people in my life who didn't completely hate Klaus.

"I have a question," I asked. "Hypothetically, what if you're in a relationship that you've fought for, and it's great, but then someone else gets in the way and confuses you, and you're not 100% sure what you want?"

They looked at each other.

"I'm gonna pretend that I have no idea who you're talking about," Bonnie said. "But if I had to choose between a good guy and a bad one, I'd choose the good guy."

"Who are you talking about?" Elena asked, intrigued. Bonnie gave her a 'seriously?' look, and her brow instantly cleared. "Oh, right."

"What do you want Serena?" Bonnie asked. "That's the main thing."

"I know what I want, I chose what I wanted, I'm committed to my choice."

"In my experience, it wasn't about the good guy vs bad guy thing," Elena said. "Like when I was dating Matt, and then I dated Stefan. They're both great guys, but what I have with Stefan is... passionate, powerful. At the end of the day, you can't pick someone because of what they've done to others, you have to pick based on what they do for you."

I sighed. I was getting a range of opinions because, deep down, I wanted someone else to make this decision for me.

"I knew this would happen," Bonnie said.

"You couldn't warn me?" I asked her. "What are you, a witch or a psychic?"

She laughed. "No, I just meant, I kind of guessed how he felt about you."

"How?" I asked. "Because I didn't! I had no idea."

"When I sent you to the other side, his whole demeanor changed. I knew he was worried, and I thought that he'd threaten me, get me to bring you back faster. But instead he held onto your hand, and wouldn't look away from you until the second you woke up."