4. Let's Slumber It

There was a knock on my bedroom door.

"Go away!" I said, my head buried beneath my pillow. Despite my command, the door opened and I felt someone standing over the bed. I looked up to see Elena. "Stefan sent you?"

"He said you're moping," she said.

"I'm allowed to mope. Captain America is basically a vampire hunter; I'd say we should all be moping."

She sighed, lifting the duvet and crawling into the bed next to me.

"You like him?" she asked.

"No, definitely not," I said, not sure if I was telling the truth or not. I was certainly intrigued by him, but did that mean that I liked him? "I mean, he's hot sure, but a month ago I was in a 50 year relationship. You can't get over that this quickly."

"Maybe you're just ready for something new?" she suggested.

"Maybe I'm just extremely horny," I smiled and she laughed. "Anyway, how's it going with you and my brother? Everything good?"

"Yeah, of course," she said, but I could tell something wasn't right. I looked at her silently with an eyebrow raised until she broke. "OK, look, I love Stefan, really."

"Then what's the problem?"

"Damon and I... we had a moment."

"What?" I sat up in bed. "When? Why?"

"I don't know," she said calmly. "It happened just before you came to town. We didn't kiss or anything, but..."

"Are you breaking up with Stefan?" I asked, trying not to let my feelings show. I liked Elena, but I didn't know how I'd react if she broke my favorite brother's heart.

"No!" she said immediately. "Of course not. I just need to... work out how I feel."

We were both silent, thinking about what she'd said.

"I have an idea," she said, taking her phone out of her pocket, a smile on her face. "Caroline! Serena and I are in desperate need of a girls' night tonight. Let's slumber it."

I could hear Caroline's excitement as she answered.

"Great," Elena said, hanging up and turning to me. "You have to meet Bonnie, I'm gonna invite her tonight." She got up from the bed. "Caroline's house at 6 tonight, I'll text you the address."

"I'll be there," I promised sincerely. All my life, my world had revolved around men. My father (who I'd loved more than anyone despite how awful he was as a person), my brothers, and then James, who I'd given the best part of my life to. But now I was getting the chance to be around girls, to make real friends; and that was much more exciting than lying in bed and sulking about Captain America.

...

I walked into the living room, my overnight bag tucked under my arm. Stefan was sitting on the sofa reading and Damon was nowhere to be seen. I walked up behind Stefan and wrapped my arms around him, leaning my head on his.

"What's this for?" he asked, sounding amused.

"Nothing, just... I love you," I said with a smile. OK, so I was feeling guilty about what Elena told me. I knew she'd never hurt him, but I'd seen what happened all those years ago, when both of my brothers had lusted after the same girl. I didn't want Stefan to have to go through that again.

"Are you OK?" he asked, justifiably given that I hadn't told him that I loved him for 50 years.

"I'm fine!" I said, not quite convincingly.

"Elena told me about Steve," he said. "Or should I say, Captain America?"

"Shhh!" I said, looking around. "You didn't tell Damon, did you?" I whispered.

"No," he said, lowering his voice. "He'd kill him."

"I know," I said. If Steve wasn't a threat to us vampires, Damon didn't need to know anything about him. My brother was rash and volatile; he did things without thinking and spent years avoiding the people he'd hurt so that he didn't have to apologise. I remembered the last time I was one of those people, when I'd vowed that I'd never let Damon hurt me again.

"Anyway, don't you have a girls' night to get to?" he asked.

"Yep," I said, heading for the door with his car keys in my hand. "Have fun with your... book."

"Stay out of trouble," he warned as I shut the door behind me.

...

"Serena, this is Bonnie," Elena said, introducing us.

"It's nice to meet you," she said, pulling me into a hug. "Elena tells me we're related?"

"Distantly," I said. "My mother was a Bennett witch. I guess that makes us like, cousins 100 times removed or something?" we both laughed.

"I'm guessing this slumber party was needed because of that Steve guy?" Caroline asked, coming out of her room to join us.

"Captain America came to Mystic Falls in search of vampires. Am I the only one freaked out by that?" I asked.

"He didn't know that the animal attacks related to vampires," Elena reminded me.

"And we compelled him!" Caroline said. "Trust me, this guy knows nothing."

"OK, maybe I'm just being paranoid," I said, changing the subject. "Anyway, let's forget about me. Have you guys heard about Elena and Damon?"

"What?" Bonnie and Caroline turned to Elena sharply.

"If we're gonna talk about this, I need a drink. And maybe some ice cream," Elena said.

"Kitchen," Caroline said.

The kitchen was filled with drinks and snacks. It was clear that Caroline was no stranger to being a hostess.

I reached straight for the vodka, taking a swig and passing it around.

"Damon and I had a tiny moment," Elena said, taking a sip.

"What kind of moment?" Bonnie asked, opening a bag of chips.

"There was a... lingering look," she said, a tiny smile on her face. I couldn't help but wonder if the moment meant as much to Damon as it did to Elena. In all my years, the only person I'd ever known my brother to be in love with was Katherine Pierce. For all I knew, he was messing with Elena to upset Stefan.

"I think you should stay away from him," I advised. "You don't want to mess things up with Stefan."

"I agree," Caroline said. "Damon is trouble."

"What do you want to do about it?" Bonnie asked.

"I don't know," Elena said, looking down.

There was a knock, and Caroline immediately vamp-ran to the door.

"Hello," someone said. "I was wondering, is Serena Salvatore here?"

"Yeah, she is. You're...?" Caroline asked.

"Steve. Steve Rogers."

**************************************************

Thanks so much for reading this chapter! I upload every Saturday!

Why do you think Steve has shown up on Caroline's doorstep?

Please vote and leave me a comment if you liked this chapter!