Chapter Eight

Before I knew it, it was Saturday. Mel had spent the week fretting about it, so I was surprised that she still agreed to come-however hesitant her consent was. But she was coming nonetheless, and maybe with her there I might not let myself get completely piss-ass drunk like I usually do at those things.

"So," Melody said, looking up at me with her big green eyes, "I'll see you tonight?" She chewed on her bottom lip.

We were currently standing in the middle of the local frozen yogurt restaurant's parking lot, having met up there to hang out a couple of hours prior.

I chuckled at her. "Mel, you've gotta calm down." I threw on a lazy half-smirk. "It's not like you're about to jump into a pit of venomous snakes!"

She rolled her eyes and muttered, "I think that'd be safer."

I let out a sigh of exasperation and put both my hands on her shoulders, staring her straight in the eyes. "Listen to me, Melody."

She looked at me uncertainly. "Alright, I'm listening."

"Good," I said, nodding reassuringly at her. "Look, with me there, everything'll be fine. You're just worrying yourself sick over nothing-trust me, once you get to the party, you'll see how laid back and totally chilled out everyone is and see that it's not all that bad."

She closed her eyes, her dark lashes fanning out beneath her eyes, and I felt a sudden insane urge-that I pointedly ignored-to crush her to me in a tight hug. Melody opened her eyes again and I realized how small she was, standing there with her forehead wrinkled up in distress, biting her lip, how delicate she was.

And then I felt guilt bubble up inside of me because of how easy it would be to break her, and dammit, I knew that the fucking bet would break her and I...

I didn't want to break her. Not anymore. I didn't want to hurt her. I just wanted her to smile at me when she was having a good day and laugh at me when I told her my stupid cheesy jokes and crinkle her nose at me when I said suggestive things to her and be happy.

Because, as loathe as I was to admit it, I actually started caring about her and our friendship.

But just our friendship. The thought of anything more than that was impossibly ridiculous.

"Okay," she whispered, opening her eyes and looking at me.

Her next words all but broke my heart because I knew that she wasn't lying to me when she said them.

"I trust you, Trey."

I forced a half-smile and let go of her. "I'll see you later, then." I winced internally at how guarded my voice suddenly sounded, praying that she hadn't noticed.

She nodded, her green eyes probing me questioningly. I willed myself not to look away, for fear of drawing more suspicion to myself.

"Alright," she said, giving up, a warm smile lighting up her features. She rushed forward and gave me a hug. I hesitated for a moment, only a moment, before wrapping my arms securely around her and burying my face into her hair and breathing in the sweet, comforting scent of oranges that was so...her. "Goodbye, Trey." She murmured into my chest.

I released her. "Bye, Mel." She flashed me another smile before getting into her car and driving away.

God, I thought as her car disappeared from my sight, why did I always have to fucking ruin everything?

--

When I got home-after messing around for a while so that I wouldn't be one of those weirdos who actually showed up on time, or, God forbid, early (one did not simply arrive "early" to a party unless they wanted to forever be stamped as socially desperate)-I threw on a black button-down shirt, a pair of loose jeans, and my Vans tennis shoes. After I put on a little cologne, I was good to go. I checked my reflection once, artfully rolling up the sleeves of my shirt halfway to look more casual (and the fact that it also helped show off my sexy, tan arms was just a plus), and then left for the party.