25 ⇢ The Silhouette

twenty-five ◌ the silhouette

twenty-five the silhouette

I just wanted to say goodbye to my best friend in peace. I wanted to sit in solidarity with him; to let my tears run down my cheeks and trickle onto his with one final goodbye. There was a soulful lament in my heart that needed to explode out of my chest, and I needed a dedicated, serene moment. But it was as if I couldn't catch a break— not even a quick second to hold Niall's hand one last time.

The clicking of a pistol echoed in our ears and like instinct, our own weapons were brandished before us.

"Put the guns down."

An enigmatic silhouette casually leaned against the wall with its hands slipped inside the pant pockets. Liam, Harry, and I created a human barricade around Niall as we stood together with our guns pointed at the eerie figure.

"Who are you?" Liam questioned sternly. "Show yourself."

"Hands in the air!" Harry bellowed.

I swallowed the fear in my throat and waited for the mysterious being to make itself known. In silence, the figure unhooked itself from the wall and menacingly strolled towards us. The moonbeams snaked its way through the open partition and flushed its silver light against the shadowy being.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing here?" I didn't even know the ire-laced words slipping past my tongue came from my own mouth, till the dark eyes of the man flickered towards me.

"You recognize me," his lips lifted into a cynical grin.

"I'd never forget the face of a monster who slipped drugs in my drink," I cooly declared. My eyebrows narrowed in on the man and cocked my gun.

"Tasha, put your gun down. I'm not going to hurt you," he claimed, though I wasn't so sure if I could believe him. "I'm here to help you."

I stifled a laugh, rolling my eyes with great disbelief. With the gun still in my hands, I took a step towards the enemy. He didn't flinch at all, not even when the tip of my weapon grazed his chest.

"Who the fuck are you?" I curtly asked, my voice low and demonic-like.

"Your friend— Zayn."

My entire world shifted, like everything around me spun a full 360 and when I found myself right side up, I was in a whole different dimension. I stared and stared at the person before me, my face drenched with confusion.

"Look, I don't have much time to really explain," Zayn quickly continued, completely disregarding the three guns in his face. "I work for your father Tasha."

"You work for ANTI," Harry corrected with a snarl. He took a long stride till he was next to me, glaring at Zayn with utmost antagonism.

"I'm a spy," Zayn clarified, taking his hand to bravely swipe the gun's barrels away from his chest. "My identity has been compromised, and ANTI is changing plans."