1 ⇢ The Invincible Three

one ◌ the invincible three

onethe invincible three

Sometimes I hit the snooze button one too many times.

Let's face it: beauty rest did not work on me. What my deep under eye circles, tangled, matted hair, and drool needed, was ten hours inside a blanket cocoon where my body could regenerate. However on that Thursday morning in May, when the metal knob of the door crashed against the light grey wall of my bedroom and I jolted out of the swaddle with a racing heart, I unfortunately was not an enchanting butterfly. Instead, I resembled a blended caterpillar — it was not cute.

"I will put your balls in an oven!" I roared with fury, jumping onto my feet with clenched knuckles at the ready.

"Put the fists down Ate, your face will protect you. It'll send any bad guys running the other way for fear of catching, 'the ugly.'"

(pronunciation & translation: ah-teh - older sister, said with respect)

My little sister who had an innate knack for insulting me, stood at the doorway with a satisfied smirk plastered across her face. Kat's long hair was pulled into her signature pristine ponytail, exuding chic opulence, and her small pink lips were lathered in expensive gloss.

"You're an ass wipe, Kat," I shot a snare at the dainty girl before me. With an exhale, I dropped down to my bed. "What the hell are you doing in here?"

"Firstly, better me than mom," Kat declared matter-of-fairly, sauntering further into my room. "She was getting ready to dump a tabo of cold water onto your face."

(translation: pail, bucket)

"Secondly," Kat continued with a coy grin as she ran her fingers across the vanity table top. "I need to borrow some eyeliner. I ran out."

I didn't have to verbally answer my sister to approve her request of delving into my very limited Sephora stockpile. Kat was Kat, and will do things without the approval of others — she just asks to be polite. It was both a blessing and a curse.

Slightly awake, yet still alert, I decided it was time to pursue my own endeavors of preparing myself for the buzzkill that is Kennedy Prep. An ice cold shower, citrus-smelling body wash, and minty toothpaste was all I really needed to start a successful day. That, and the sweet taste of my mom's unique confections.

The aroma that danced into my nostrils was like a bouquet crafted by the Gods themselves. It tickled my insides and gave me hope. It was ethereal, the way food could instigate such passionate emotions. Lucky for me, my mother was the queen of baked goods.

"Anak, finally you're awake," mom was bent in front of the open refrigerator. Her head seemed to be inside one of the shelves before she stepped backwards and pulled out a glass bowl. "You're going to be late for school if you don't eat and get out the door soon."