Chapter 14: Thinking Of You

Luke's POV:

Luke's POV:

That kiss was something else, something special. I felt that I had her heart and she had mine in those two sweet minutes.

I loved it. It was my dream come true.

But when she pushed me away and ignored everything I confessed to her,

I broke.

Did she even love me? I thought she did, that's why I wasn't afraid to kiss her. But she doesn't. She wants to stay friends and it hurts too much. I wanna be more than friends.... but I guess reality has yet to set in my brain.

I can never love her and she will never love me, I guess I have to face it as long as she lives with my father and I.

We're nothing more than friends. Period.

Get over it, Luke! Get over her scent. Get over her touch. Get over her smile. Get over her laugh. Get over her cuteness. Get over her shyness. Get over her!

But I can't.

Ebony's POV:

Luke unlocked the car and I got in, waiting for him to get in the driver's seat. I sighed and watched as he walked almost too calmly to the driver's side. Well, I can't say calmly. He barely blinked as he shuffled to the side of the car. He looked like he was deep in thought, or as if he wasn't in his daily good mood. It was like all of his unique personality drained from his body. Just like the color from a black and white movie.

It was like he wasn't Luke anymore, he was gone. I was the only one to blame for that. All because of my selfishness, I might not get the boy I loved to be around.

The car revved as Luke turned the key in the ignition. He cleared his throat and I thought he was gonna say something, but he just pulled out of the parking lot and drove down the road.

Silence.

When nothing is heard. There was the tingly sensation of tension in the air. Maybe it sent heat my way because I started sweating on this autumn day.

Guilt.

It sat in my stomach like curdled milk or moldy bread. I wanted it to be gone, but I didn't know how to fix it. The guilt only sent waves of thoughts to my brain.

Was he going to kick me out now? Was he going to act like a jerk like typical boys do? Did he hate me now that I basically rejected him?

I didn't know anything. I looked over at the boy who was vibrant not too long ago. The boy I rolled around in the leaves with. The boy I had the most fun with. The boy who now looked so depressed. I wished, hoped, even prayed that he'd be back to normal when we got back to the house. That hopefully he'd walk it off and I'd get to see that cute white-fanged smile again. Because I hated to see him frowning like this, and I feared that he'd never be happy with me like he was before.

The world around us seemed washed of its pretty clashing colors. Nothing mattered now except for Luke's cheerfulness.

Once we got to the house, I found out my prayer was never answered. He was still gloomy. Luke got out of the car, walked in front of me inside the house, and trotted upstairs to his bed. I followed and peeked into his room, spotting him staring up at the ceiling with his hands on his chest.

I wanted to lay next to him. I wanted his body heat to warm me as we were only inches away. I wanted my hand to be engulfed in his. But what I wanted now seemed as if it were never gonna happen again.

Wait. What am I thinking?

I sound like I'm crushing on him. But I can't be, can I? I needed to think, I needed more fresh air, I needed to leave.

"I'm gonna... go for a walk. I'll be back, okay?" I said quiet and awkwardly.

"Sure, yeah, come back soon," he said lowly. He turned to look at me and managed a very faint smile.

I placed a smile on my face but it dropped as quick as I left the room. I ran out the house, along the sidewalk, and around the corner of Langston Road.

Immediately, I started crying. Walking where? Anywhere. Weird, I know. Why would you start crying? Well, I thought I knew what I wanted. I thought I didn't love him. I thought I didn't want him to love me. But now I've realized, I was in love with him all along. I just didn't want to believe it. Every little thing he did captivated me. I never wanted to leave his side anywhere we went. He's nice to be around and I always obsessed about his warmth and the power his touch had over me. But I was too blind to accept it.

Since I was so wrong about how I felt, I could be wrong about everything else. I could be wrong about the world and how bad it is, it could be good. There could be good things on this planet that I chose to ignore. I was too lost and Luke was only helping me see it.

Now I didn't know what to think or how to feel. I just kept walking along the sidewalk, hoping that it'd lead me to something I wanted. Or someone.

The sun was setting, my feet were aching, and I needed to sit down. The nearest place I could go to was the McDonald's that was just a few more steps in front of me. I went right in and sat down in one of the booths, rethinking my life like the emo I was.

I sat for a while. I knew because the stars scattered the sky and the half moon was out. The time? Didn't know and didn't feel like checking. My phone rang several times but I didn't bother to check.

When I finally did decide to check, I was interrupted by a strange figure that sat across from me in the booth. I looked up only to be hit with a flood of memories, only to sit stiff in my seat, and only to lose my sense in speech.

I hoped I wouldn't see this person again. I hoped he was out of my life for good. But as usual, my hopes were crushed and my adoptive father was sitting about two feet away from me.