CHAPTER 1

Jasmine’s POV

I was immersed in the world of my music on my way back from school. I looked up at the sky and sighed. I was glad it was only drizzling right now. The rain was not on the forecast but the sky looked ready to unleash a heavy downpour. I sighed again and focused my eyes back on the dark path.

It was another boring and tiring day again.

Seventeen years and the same pattern. Third-year of high school and same old redundancy.

Everything was the same.

Yet...

Nothing felt in place. Nothing ever did.

“Shit!” I sped up when the pitter-patter picked its pace. These were the times when I regretted not taking my car.

And umbrella.

But what could I do?

I loved walking and observing everything around me.

I sighed in relief when my home became visible. It was too big for two people. Big enough to house a batch of an army. I hurried inside and sighed in relief when warmth surrounded me in a moment.

Miranda was already home. Her silver Mercedes was parked in the driveway.

I threw my bag on the couch in the living and went to the kitchen. The smell of delicious food made my stomach grumble loudly.

“Smells nice” I put my head on her shoulder and looked at the lasagna. My favorite. “Hi,” I greeted.

“Hey! How was your day?” Miranda patted my cheek.

The same question every time.

“Same” I replied and hopped on the counter next to her. “Don’t give me the look.”

“Of course!” Miranda sighed and I smiled. “Go and change. I will call you once I’m done.” I nodded and went to my room.

My sanctuary.

My room was not like what girls of my age would have. It was not girly at all. It didn’t even look like the room of a teenager. My walls were full of murals.

All in dark shades of blue.

I didn’t know why I love this color. But it always made me feel the peace amidst all the chaos.

I had a queen-size bed in the middle of my room, my study table was on its left, and a small cozy couch on right. There was a door next to the couch which opened to the terrace facing west.

The sunset was the best vista from here.

My art supplies and books were stacked on the wall-sized rack across my bed. There were doors on either side. One led to my bathroom with a walk-in closet and the other to my studio.

My dance studio.

I loved dancing besides painting. It made me happy, it gave me a thrill and it helped me forget.