Three - Background History

Madeline's POV

"No way," Victor exclaims. "You didn't." He states his face crunched in disbelief.

I laughed, " Oh, but I did." I say matter-of-factly. James scoffs.

"You weren't friends with Howard Stark," he breaths "especially not in the second world war, women weren't in the battle field much." He says.

"Yes I was. And I helped design Captain America's sheild." I say.

Victors face shows confusion the entire time. "I thought you said that you stole his sheild." I laughed.

"I did. He was a good man. Very nice. And proper, like, kinda like. I don't know. Kinda like John Howlett." The boys snickered.

Victor laughs. "So he was like a dad to you? You do realise that you are like 60 years older than him, right?" I laugh.

"He was like how I always wished my dad was like, but no. He was more like a little brother."

They laugh, again. "So tell me again how you ended up birthing Bruce Banner." James says.

I laugh. "Well, I kinda have some experience with that. Umm I was a nurse in the first world war. So of course I was a nurse after that too. Umm. Some how that turned into midwife. Mrs. Banner trusted me. And I am Bruce's godmother. If anything happens to his parents. And he is 9 right now. I get to see him in a week. He is turning 10 in a couple of months. And I miss him. He is basicly my kid."

I pull a little Polaroid picture of him out of my wallet. It's him standing beside his dads laboratory.

"That's him, he was about 6 or 7" James grabs his picture. He looks at it, then up at me.

"Cute kid." He says. Victor scoffs.

" You ever had any?" Vic asks.

I shake my head. "The life I live, I don't want a kid in danger." He nods.

After that we continued drinking.

-----

I wake up in the morning in a large shirt. I look around the room. He's not here.

Where did he go? I get up. I look around again. I see a note.

Madeline,

I'm sorry, this was a mistake. We were drunk, I don't want to make things awkward, so this is goodbye. I can't have you getting hurt because of me. If the whole Kayla thing didn't happen then we could make this work. But I'm now out for blood, not Victors anymore but, I can't have you tagging along and getting hurt because of me. I'm sorry. I left my dog tags for you.

I love you, don't look for me. And don't try to follow me.

~ Love, James

P.S.  you are the only remaining person to call me that, so the dog tag I gave you says, James Howlett.

What!? A mistake! Why does thus hurt so much.