33. Early Christmas Present

Start from the beginning

To hell with him! I had survived much, much worse than this old man. Raising my chin, I met his gaze head-on and didn't blink. Not once. Finally, he narrowed his eyes and, whirling, marched off towards the house. I thought he would leave without a word. But then he stopped next to Mr Ambrose. Without touching or looking at his son, he said:

'Be careful whom you associate with. Even after what you've done in the last ten years, the Ambrose name still means something. Be very careful.'

And he swept off into the house.

'Oh, my dear!' Before I could even think of moving, Lady Samantha rushed forward, enveloping me in a fluffy hug. 'I'm so sorry about that! Sometimes he can be a bit...'

...of an arse?

'...grumpy.'

Well, that was certainly one way to put it. Sliding my arms around her, I gently patted the little lady's back.

'Don't worry. It would take a lot more than that to scare me away.'

Maybe it was just coincidence – but just at that moment, I happened to look up and, through one of the windows facing the courtyard, high up on the second floor, caught the glimpse of a figure standing half-hidden behind the curtains. A tall, blond figure with aquiline features.

Lord Dalgliesh smiled at me.

Quickly, I lowered my gaze and let go of Lady Samantha. Karim, I saw to my intense relief, was already beside me, looking dependably massive and dangerous.

As soon as her mother let go, Adaira decided that, apparently, she hadn't had quite enough of hugging yet and came back for seconds.

'He's watching you,' she whispered in my ear. 'Dalgliesh, I mean.'

'I know. Are you sure we shouldn't tell your parents–'

'No!' Her grip tightened. 'All those things you've told me about him...' I felt her give a light shudder. I had not spared her the nasty details of mine and Mr Ambrose's encounters with Lord Dalgliesh. At least one member of the household needed to know how dangerous he was. 'They'd never believe it! They've had a falling out, true, but still...He's a peer of the realm!'

I knew she spoke the truth. Lady Samantha was far too innocent to comprehend the truth. And her husband – he was one of those men who thought being 'nobility' really meant that you were noble, in the true sense of the word. There was no convincing him.

'Don't worry.' I patted her back before I let go. 'I'm well-protected, and so are you.' There were enough people in Mr Ambrose's employ on the estate to keep an eye on us both. Everything was going to be fine.

'Miss Linton?'

I would have known that voice anywhere. So cold, so hard – and yet there was no way I could ever confuse it with his father's. Smiling, I looked up at Mr Rikkard Ambrose. With the grace of a gazelle, I dipped into a curtsy.

'Mr Ambrose, Sir?'

Unfortunately, most gazelles weren't particularly good at curtsying. But that didn't seem to bother him. His icy gaze was devouring me from top to bottom.

'Why don't you come walk with me, Miss Linton? There is something I would like to discuss with you.'

In the background, I could see Lady Samantha stumble, and nearly swoon with happiness.

'Certainly, Mr Ambrose. Lead the way.'

He marched me off, and Adaira trailed behind, the dutiful chaperone (or nosy little minx, depending on your perspective). We were hardly out of hearing range before Mr Ambrose hissed: 'We have a problem!'