Chapter 11

The morning in the mountain was very beguiling. The sun peeked from in between the clouds like a shy little girl stealing a look at newcomers. The soft, cold breeze tickled the bare trees, creating a rather calming symphony.

Ada stood outside, adoring the captivating scenery. It surprised her how she was not thinking of her dilemma. The shack was on a high mountain from which a small part of Jableh's beach could be seen along with a carpet of brown, green and white lands on which the clouds bestowed their shadows.

Ian walked out of the cellar holding a bottle of red wine. "You could've given me one of these instead of boiling water," he said, raising the bottle as if it were a trophy he'd just won.

"Normally, the last drink on my mind—if at all—is liquor," she replied, smiling genuinely and looking back at Ian, "It would've killed you."

"I know you'd rather I die than drink a haram beverage, God forbid."

Her smile faltered and was replaced by a feeling of indignation.

"You really need to start using Google for non-porn search queries," she said, her tone caustic, "Alcohol makes your blood vessels expand, resulting in rapid heat loss from the surface of your skin."

"Ouch," Ian winced, "Are we in a bad mood today?"

Seriously? "I want coffee," she announced, changing the subject, "We need to go to that grocery store on the other side of the planet."

"What grocery store?"

"It's forty minutes' walk from here." She stretched her arms.

"I would slay a dragon for coffee."

"Awesome, that makes two of us! Now put your coat on, Tarzan."

***

"We've been walking for half an hour now and all I can see are trees, rocks and snow," Ian complained, throwing his buttocks on the almost-snowy ground to rest.

"Enjoy the scenery, this place is mesmerizing!" Ada said then stopped walking, closed her eyes, stretched her arms to the sides, inhaled then exhaled loudly and slowly. She turned to look at Ian with beaming eyes and said, "I thought vampires were super speedy."

"I'm not a full vampire or I would've burnt in the light," he said grudgingly, not bothering to look at her, "And vampires prefer cemeteries if you haven't known."

"Okay, we could rest a little although I'm so full of energy today," she said as she sat on the ground beside him, "got nothing to lose," she shrugged, "I decided to savor every moment before I get locked up in a dungeon for the rest of my life."

"You are one drama queen!" He exclaimed in disgust, pulling his favorite face. He then stared at the majestic horizon, and so did Ada. The sky met with the land and water at a distance that seemed so close and reachable, yet was very distant. The clouds were bright, cuddling with the wind.

After a few minutes, Ian suddenly jerked his upper body forward and placed a hand on each of his knees. He looked at Ada, smiled with wild eyes and exclaimed in surprise and glee, "Listen!"

"The wind?" She asked, nonchalant.

"No! The music!"

Music? "Oh, I get your metaphor," she said with a faint hint of sarcasm, "You mean the wind with the trees and the meadows and the very few birds who most likely got astray while migrating."

"Shshsh!" Ian held his index finger up, "It's getting louder." His eyes beamed as he stared into space before proudly announcing, "Dmitri Shostakovich... the second waltz."