20 - Unspoken Fears 🙊

🙋🏻 - Abid's POV-
🗓️ - October 29, 2022

---

I was on my way to the office, my heart heavy with the anticipation of seeing her. I needed to see her, to find some relief from the turmoil that had been brewing inside me. As I came back from the bathroom, my phone rang. It was Umar, my secretary in Dubai, informing me that the Chairman of Zubin Enterprise urgently wanted to meet with me. Duty called, and I had to be there.

Before leaving Dubai, I had told Umar to arrange the meeting as soon as possible so I could return to India quickly. But now, the thought of going anywhere other than to see her felt unbearable.

That morning, I called her and set up a meeting, using my imminent return to Dubai as an excuse. As I drove, the traffic light blinked red, and I came to a stop. A boy, no older than 7 or 8, knocked on my window. I rolled down the glass.

"Buy these flowers for your girlfriend, sir," he said, his voice filled with a mixture of hope and desperation.

"No... thanks, buddy. I don't have a girlfriend yet."

"Please, sir. They are fresh. It's just Rs. 50."

"But, I don't..."

"Please, sir... I haven't eaten since last night. Please. I'll give them to you for Rs. 40."

His words tugged at my heart. I took out a five-hundred-rupee note and handed it to him.

"Take it and get something to eat."

"No, sir. I'm not a beggar. If you don't want to buy the flowers, it's okay."

"Okay, okay... stop. Give me the bouquet."

I bought the bouquet full of orchids and roses and gave him the note.

"I don't have change, sir," he said, looking anxious.

"Keep it. And I'm not giving it to you as a beggar. It's a reward for your hard work."

The boy's face lit up with a full-toothed smile, and I couldn't help but smile back. The light turned green, and I drove on, the bouquet resting on the seat beside me as memories of her flooded my mind.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

🗓️ - April 03, 2016
📍 - Bombay Cafe

---

"This is for you, beautiful."

For some time, she just stared at the roses.

"You don't like it?"

Then she looked into my eyes and smiled. Oh... her smile was a key to melting anyone's heart, but I really didn't like the idea of anyone except me.

"I like it, sweetheart... but...!!"

I raised an eyebrow. The flowers were so beautiful. How could a girl not like them?

"But what... beautiful?"

"I like these flowers, but I love it when they are alive, when they can breathe, and their smell mixes with the air."