Chapter One

We decided to stay at the hacienda for another week since it was the kids' summer vacation. Mom had been in low spirit since Lolo's burial yesterday. Alalang-alala si Dad kay Mom. The whole house was mourning for Lolo Jaime's death, even his help and his workers. Ramdam sa buong hacienda ang lungkot. We could feel how much he was loved by his people and how big of a loss he was to everyone.

Everybody was still in a state of shock, nobody was expected this. Hindi man lang nanghina o nagkasakit si Lolo. He just slept and never woke up again. Hindi namin akalain na ito na pala ang huling summer vacation namin na kasama siya. But we were consoled by the fact that we were complete when he passed away, we were all here to spend time with him before he died. Nandito sina Uncle Tristan at Aunt Andi, si Kuya Yvo, si Ate Monique. Pati si Ate Anais at si Kuya Coco ay sumama sa amin para magbakasyon kasama ang mga anak nila. I was sure he slept with a smile on his face that night. 

"Is Lolo not coming back?" Asked Cookie as we ate together on the dining table.

"He's gone to heaven." Kuya Coco explained.

"Can we visit him to heaven?" Tanong ni Pixie.

"No, we can't go to heaven." Ate answered in a somber tone.

"Has anyone seen Val?" Dad asked as he walked into the dining room. 

"The last time I saw her was when we were having breakfast." Sagot ni Uncle Tristan.

"Dad, baka naman nag-iikot lang sa hacienda. Baka gusto niya lang maglibang." Ate told him.

"Well, she should've told me para nasamahan ko naman siya." Dad's brows crumpled.

"Maybe she just wants to be alone." Aunt Andi said.

"Dad, hindi naman mawawala si Mom dito. Kabisado niya ang bawat sulok ng hacienda. Will you just relax?" I said.

"You know how she's been these past few days. I just want to always be there for her." Dad let out a stressed out huff. 

"She might just need some space... you know, some time alone." I shrugged.

"Dude, parang hindi mo naman kilala yang asawa mo. She's one tough cookie-"

"No, Kuya is Cookie." Pixie cutely said, her brows furrowing.

It was like comic relief from the sadness the lingered in the air. Everyone laughed at what our little princess said. Dad walked behind Pixie's chair and he gave her a kiss on the cheek. "You're one smart girl, aren't you?"

"Have you tried contacting her?" Asked Uncle Tristan afte

"She left her phone in our room."

"She's probably just out there, somewhere. She's mourning and maybe she just wants to do it in private. It's all been hard on us but Val's having it the worst. Alam naman natin kung gaano siya kalapit kay Dad. I'm sure she'll be back later." Uncle Tristan told him. 

Even though everybody was trying to go about their day, the melancholic atmosphere in the air was still there. We hardly spoke as we sat on the dining table. Even the helps, who were usually always chatting about something, were quiet. Just five days ago, this table was full of stories, laughters, petty fights, and Lolo's corny jokes. But now, it was quiet. If a pin was dropped in this room, it would startle everyone.

"I miss Lolo." Ate Monique's lips tugged downwards at the effort not to cry.

"I miss him, too." I could feel the lump forming in my throat as memories of him began to flash through my mind.

"Everyone misses Dad. But I'm sure he's already happy with your Lola Becca. I'm sure he wouldn't want to see us sad." Uncle Tristan sighed deeply as if trying to get the heaviness off his chest.