{16] So Text Me Maybe

I found my phone in my locker when I stepped into school the next morning. How I was going to explain my disappearance from detention had been on my mind all morning, finding my phone redirected my thought process entirely.

I hadn't given my locker combination to anyone but Rachel, and I was positive she was still out. A cold feeling set in when the realization of who had done it set in.

Damon was the only other person that knew my combination. Considering he'd stolen my diary from it, I had no doubt he probably had it memorized by now. I had already missed enough school and was grounded for a week for my actions yesterday, I didn't have any desire to push it and stop by the hospital to see if Damon had checked out yet.

"Micky!" I cringed at the booming voice that silenced the hall.

What was with these guys and not knowing how to leave me alone?

"Ryder." I muttered.

The few people that hung in the hall were eying the two of us like a hawk, possibly trying their best to hear our conversation so they could spread it throughout the school by lunch.

"Can we talk?" he asked, arms crossed.

I made a gesture toward the gap between us. "Aren't we already?"

"What the hell happened to Damon?" he leaned forward, voice a hushed whisper. "And I know he was with you. Don't tell me you don't know what's wrong."

"He got into a fight." I shrugged. "I don't know all the details. I just drove him to the hospital."

Ryder stared down with a skeptical look. "That's it? Because he sure as hell won't say a word to me about anything. Punches me any time I mention your name."

"That's all I know." I pretended to ignore his previous comment. "I'm sorry, Ryder."

I started in the opposite direction, hoping it was the last I'd see of him for a while.

Of course I wouldn't be graced with that sort of luck.

"Rachel. How's she doing?" he called after me, closing the distance between us in only a few short strides.

I shot him a bitter look. "She would have been fine if she hadn't met you. You're not going to see her again, I can assure you of that."

"Micky, don't take your shit out on me. I have no idea what the hell you and Damon have going on, but keep it between yourselves." he barked out a response.

He shook his head in an ashamed manner and turned his back to me. I stood still in the middle of the hall until he disappeared around the corner.

*

I couldn't deny that I felt a little guilty about snapping at Ryder this morning. He really hadn't deserved to be lashed out on. He hadn't forced Rachel's hand in drinking or smoking and I had been sitting and blaming him for the last three days. All he'd done was offer it, she had done it without thinking of the repercussions it'd cause with her parents.

When I caught him hanging out in the field after school, I did my best to avoid him entirely, but knew deep down I wouldn't be lucky enough to escape fast enough.

"Hey, Micky." he broke away from a small crowd of jocks. "I just wanted to apologize for this morning. I know you're probably going through some shit and I get why you're pissed. I shouldn't have given anything to her."

I nodded. "No, Ryder, I'm sorry. You didn't deserve me snapping at you like that. I've just been going through a lot and tend to be a bitch when I can't handle my problems. Something I've gotta work on."