{13} All Is Fair In Love and War

***AN***

Make sure you read chapter 12 if you haven't already. I know some of you may have missed it. Enjoy the chapter!

********

I met Alec out by his car with my giddiness slowly beginning to dissipate. He was leaning against the hood of an old BMW that looked in desperate need of a wash.

"Hey." a smile stretched across his face.

I brushed my bangs out of my eyes and returned it. "Hey."

He wandered around the car and opened the passenger's side door. I nodded and ducked into the car, my fingers unfurling when I saw Damon throw his backpack over his shoulder and disappear from my line of sight. His words had become permanently imprinted in my mind, but I still couldn't fight the fact that I was relieved to see he wasn't following me.

Alec waited until we were on the road to speak up, tearing the beanie from his head so his unruly black curls were loose. He ran a hand through to brush them back and out of his eyes, sneaking a glance my way.

"You could take a picture." he joked. "It would last you a lot longer."

Blush crept to my cheeks right on cue. "Sorry."

"It's cool, Micky." he tapped his fingers along the steering wheel. "So, how do you feel about heading out to Krypton Cove?"

My stomach dropped at the nickname for the infamous college hangout. I had heard stories of hazing and police raids over the years, but hadn't been there myself since my brother died.

"A few of my friends are waiting for us up there. We can split once we pick them up if you want." he added, obviously noting my silence as a reason for reassurance.

"Yeah, sure. That's cool with me." I flashed a quick smile in his direction before pulling my phone from my purse and sending my dad and Rachel a quick text.

I wasn't in fear that Alec would try anything, it was just a precaution in case any of what Damon said might, by some miracle, be true.

I spent the last ten years gawking over the quiet boy in the back of the classroom, tossing hundreds of different scenarios like this one around in my head. In every one, we were deep in conversation about something. As I sat beside him, my sweaty palms pressed into my thighs, I couldn't ignore the tension in the car.

It was hard to decipher whether it was radiating off Alec or me, or a combination of us both.

I couldn't shake Damon's words and I hated him for it. He was probably the furthest from right and I was ruining my only chance with the guy I'd been crushing on forever because of something the school's bad boy said.

"Can I ask you a question?" I whispered.

Alec cracked a smile. "You just did, but sure."

"Why did you wait so long to approach me? Did . . . did Damon put you up to asking me out?"

"Damon Fox? Why the hell would he do that?" Alec responded. "The guy is a prick."

A small wave of relief washed over me hearing the answer I'd been expecting. Rachel had been right, Alec had asked me out on his own accord.

"Why'd you wait so long?" I repeated.

My eyes roamed Alec as he hesitated to answer. His teeth grazed his bottom lip, his eyes remained on the road but appeared to be peering into an entirely different dimension. He stayed silent for so long my newfound hope had begun to dissipate.