Chapter 12: The Blanket

Emma heard the wooden floor creak as a pair of feet padded across it. The blonde shrunk in her spot on the couch, green eyes, guilty, fixated on the flat screen of the television. Sunlight shone through the blinds behind it, bathing the room in a pale, golden glow and it was then that she knew what she had done.

The door to the bathroom had clicked shut and she quelled the knot in her stomach for the time being as she focused her attention on the screen and the controller in her hand, mashing several buttons. She lost time as she slowly immersed herself, once again, until a pair of footsteps sounded behind her. The overwhelming presence had her pausing the game that she played and crane her neck to see a very tired version of her wife's smile, already painted a deep crimson.

"Have you been to bed yet?" A croaky voice inquired. "Or were you up all night?"

"Well..." Emma started, her face burning with shame. "I meant to, but I finally beat this one level I've been stuck on forever."

"And that resulted in you playing for... Gods," she said, pausing in thought, "for about eight hours?"

"It hasn't been eight hours, Gina." Emma frowned slightly, slowly doubting her words.

"It's seven, my love. We – I went to bed around midnight. You were supposed to follow me." A brow quirked and the blonde knew she was doomed. But then she smiled, tsking softly as she did so. "It's a good thing that I love you, Emma."

"I love you, too," she squeaked sheepishly.

Regina backed away from the couch, shaking her head with a light laugh, and moved back down the hallway. "Just remember, your parents as supposed to arrive around noon."

"I know!" Emma quickly turned back to the screen, saved her game, and quit, before getting up to follow her wife who had disappeared into their bedroom. "The whole reason why I took the day off."

"Indeed, so I suggest that you get a nap in before then. We have a long day ahead of us." The brunette was stripped of her pajamas and in the closet by the time Emma had found her, eyes squinting slightly as she looked through her clothes – or at least the ones she could still wear.

Emma grinned widely as she watched her precious wife make a face at a certain shirt and stepped forward to slip her arms around her waist, palms flat against her swollen belly, humming when she felt a small flutter. "Oh, I know how much you've been looking forward to this."

The brunette grumbled softly and irritably pushed aside another garment that she lost interest in. "I told you that I didn't want to go shopping with your parents, and what is the first thing that your mother suggests we do after the announcement? I couldn't refuse her, after all," she said softly, finally pulling a crimson dress from its hanger, "it is her grandson and she offered to purchase a few items for him."

"I'm sorry, baby." The blonde started to move her hands, one set of fingers dancing across the soft, warm skin. "I know you think they're insufferable, but they're nice, y'know? It won't be so bad, I promise."

The older woman purred softly and leaned against her blonde wife for a moment, fingers curling into the cloth that she held. "I know. I know..." She only shook her head before pulling out of Emma's grasp and started to step into her dress. The blonde quickly offered a hand to steady her as she did so. "But, so help me Gods, I will flip a table if that woman starts talking about birthing videos, again."

Emma chuckled softly when Regina's dark eyes met hers, a humorless look on the latter's face. "It scares you, doesn't it?"

The brunette's upper lip twitched before she turned around, growling, "just zip me up."