19

"Where are we going?" I asked Shawn for the hundredth time. I've been squirming in my seat for the past fifteen minutes because I had to wait for a red light before I could ask him.

"Beyoncé." Shawn laughed. He shook his head and looked back at the road. I frowned. What the hell was funny?

The light turned green and I pouted before crossing my arms over my chest. I stared out the window and watched as we passed several buildings and shops along the street. I didn't have a clue where he was taking me, and my curiosity was killing me. The only thing I knew was that it'd be 'fun' but that could be anything, right?

I lost interest in watching the scenery pass so I faced forward again. I kept breathing heavy and dramatically for a good two minutes before remembering Shawn couldn't hear me and I probably sounded stupid. I rolled my eyes at myself and wiggled my butt a little to get comfy in my seat. The radio was on low, but I got excited when I could faintly hear Keyshia Cole's "Love" playing and quickly turned it up.

"Loveeeeeeeee, never knew what I was missing, but I knew once we start kissin', I foooOoounddd youuuuuuu," I sang loudly, putting my all into the lyrics. I've always loved this song, but it means even more to me now since I'm actually in love with someone.

The sound ended a few minutes later and I let out a long breath as I leaned back in my seat. Whew, I just know I did that, not to sound narcissistic or anything. Even though my eyes were closed, I felt Shawn staring at me and turned to look at him. I was smiling big, still on a high from the song, but immediately began frowning when I saw how sad he looked.

"What's wrong?" I asked quickly. A tear fell down his face and my frown deepened. I leaned over and wiped it away with my thumb. "Shawn?" I repeated.

He sighed and shook his head. "I wish I could hear your voice." He said sadly. "I'm sure it's beautiful. You look so happy when you're singing. I can tell the music means something to you. Shit, I felt that."

"Shawn..." I felt my heart sink and kept stroking his cheek. "I'm sorry." I said softly. I didn't know what else to say. "It's nothing special anyways."

Shawn chuckled and sat up straight. He gently removed my hand from his cheek before kissing my knuckles. "Bey, I don't believe that shit at all." He said, making me laugh and blush. "I know you've got a hell of a voice in you, I can tell. If you weren't so set on becoming a teacher I'd sign you in a heartbeat."

I shook my head. "You'd sign me without actually knowing if I was good or not? Just by assumption?" I smirked. My cheeks were still burning from how hard Shawn made me blush and I was praying he wouldn't bring it up. He loved teasing me, knowing how easily embarrassed I got.

"Ain't no assuming baby girl. I know." Shawn winked before unbuckling his seatbelt. I was confused until I looked around and realized we were in the parking lot at Dave & Busters.

"No way!" I squealed. I was so excited, I haven't been to a Dave & Busters in years. I used to go all the time in high school, but once I moved to New York I rarely went at all. Hell, I've gone maybe two or three times since living here. I can't believe this. I wonder if I've ever brought this up to Shawn, or did he just know? Most likely the latter.

I heard my door open and smiled when I saw Shawn standing there. He stretched out his hand and I happily accepted it.

"Thank you for bringing me here." I said smiling. He chuckled and released my hand, making me frown a little. But I quickly let that hurt go because I was determined to have a good time tonight. One small gesture wasn't gonna ruin that for me.