Chapter 8

I leave it on the table, put my jacket on, and open the door, closing it softly behind me.

***

I'm on the tube on the way to work, ready and on time for once. The car is fairly crowded and I'm squished between an old man and a woman and her baby. I'm sat scrolling through Twitter, my bag in my lap, as I get text from Tobi.

Why did you leaaave

I have this thing called work

You should try it some time

Shots

Oh my brother is coming to visit this weekend

I want to introduce you two

Ok

Any reason or just ?

I mean it was his hoodie that made                you talk to me

True true

Alright I have to go now

Fiiiine

I put my phone in my pocket, stepping back into the daylight from the underground. I begin the walk to the restaurant, music playing through my earbuds.

***

The weekend passes quickly and before I know it, it's Monday, my day off. I get a call from Alicia around 11:00.

“What's up?”

“Wanna come open the door?”

“Sure?”

I get up, pausing my music, and walk over towards the door. I open it and Alicia stands there. I move aside, letting her in, and she sits down on the couch.

“Have you not heard me knocking for the last five minutes?” she asks.

“Sorry I was listening to loud music,” I respond, sitting down next to her. She waves away my apology.

“It's fine. Anyway, will you come play football with me?”

“Aliiiiica, you know I suck at football,” I groan.

“Please?” She says, standing up and offering me her hand.

I cross my arms, pouting and looking up at her. She raises her eyebrows, hand still extended. I plead silently with her. She rolls her eyes and grabs my hands pulling me up and into my bedroom. She takes a seat on my bed, waiting expectantly. I sigh, open my dresser and pull out a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt. Once I put them on, I look up at Alicia.