Chapter 7

“Hi,” I say, smiling, before he pulls me into a hug.

“Hey,” he mumbles as he pulls away, “How've you been?”

“Okay, pretty busy with work. You?” I say, as he moves aside and we walk inside.

“Good, yeah.”

I smile as we walk toward the kitchen.

“I making pasta, I know it's late but we said dinner so...” he shrugs.

“I haven't eaten dinner yet so that works for me.”

We stand there for a moment, the bubbling water being the only background noise.

“D’you want to sit?” He says, breaking the silence.

I nod, walking over to the couch and falling onto it. He follows, flopping down next to me. We sit for a few minutes, chatting, before his phone starts buzzing.

“Do you mind if I get this?” He says, and I shake my head.

“Yo,” he says, putting the phone to his ear.

I just hear muffled noises come from the other end of the phone, before Tobi starts laughing.

“What’d they do this time?” He says, and more noises follow.

“Uh yeah, one sec,” He turns to me, “My friend Harry wants to come over, is that ok with you?”

I nod, and he brings the phone back to his ear.

“Yeah, come over. I have a friend here, you can meet her.” More muffled noises and then Tobi again.

“Fuck off!” he says, rolling his eyes. I look at him questioningly. He smiles and shakes his head.

“Alright, see you in few,” he says into the phone before hanging up.

“Harry’s coming over,” he announces, “you sure you're fine with that?” I nod, reassuring him.

“Alright.” He gets up, going to continue cooking. I follow, leaning against the counter as he pours the pasta into the pot.

“Oh shit, wait.”

He turns around, looking concerned.

“Harry's the one I have to fight, isn't he?” I say. He laughs, nodding.

“I guess I've got to warm up then,” I say, before I hear a knock on the door.

“You ready for the fight?” Tobi says after opening the door. A blonde boy stands on the other side, a confused look on his face. Tobi steps to the side and Harry walks in, seeing me.

“I'm Jade,” I say, “The one you have to fight.” He nods, realization dawning on his face.

“So you're the infamous Jade,” he says, “Harry, good to meet you.” I nod in response.

“So,” Tobi interrupts, directing his question at Harry, “What happened?”

“Ok,” Harry starts, “So Freezy decided he wanted to prank me again, and this time he and Cal put mouse traps in the bag of crisps.” Tobi starts laughing, and I ask, “Freezy and Cal?”

“My roommates,” Harry supplies, as Tobi is still laughing.

“Oi, it wasn't funny!” Harry says, and holds out his reddened fingers, “Look what it did to me!” I begin giggling too, imagining the scene in my mind.

“Now I'm really gonna have to fight you,” Harry says to me, before beginning to laugh himself.

Once Tobi calms down, he goes to finish cooking the pasta. He and Harry stand at the counter, chatting for a few minutes.

“Tobi d'you want any help cooking?” I offer. He shakes his head, turning around to smile at me.

“It's almost done anyway.”

“Actually can you get plates out? Second shelf on the right,” he says, pointing to a cupboard. I go over and get the plates out, Harry grabbing three forks from the drawer. I put the plates on the counter by the stove and we each get pasta and sauce before sitting at the table.

“So,” Harry says as we eat, “What do you do for work?” I finish my bite before replying.

“I waitress at Palmer’s Restaurant,” I say, “by the south end of Victoria park.” Harry nods.

“Yeah I think I've been by there a few times.” he says.

“So how'd the video go, earlier this week?” I ask.

“You mean you haven't watched them?” Tobi asks, putting a hand to his heart and pretending to cry.

“I'm sorry,” I say, dragging out the 'o’. Harry laughs.

“You guys are idiots.”

“And you're not?” I retort. Tobi begins laughing as well.

The meal continues in this fashion until we all finish eating. We clean up, washing dishes and putting away leftovers.

“Ok, I should get home, I need to record,” Harry says. Tobi nods as Harry grabs his phone and jacket, hugging both of us quickly before heading back to his flat

Me and Tobi decide to watch a movie, debating for a while before finally deciding on Dunkirk, as neither of us had seen it in theaters.

We settle in, next to each other on the couch. I rest my head on his shoulder, getting tired, even with all the explosions in the movie. I sigh contentedly, my eyes slowly closing.

***

I open my eyes slowly, blinking as I realize my surroundings. Realizing I must have fallen asleep during the movie, a stretch, throwing off the blanket Tobi must have put over me after I fell asleep. I sit up, rubbing my eyes, and grab my phone from the table. It's 10:30, which means I have an hour and a half to get to work. I gather my things, writing Tobi a quick note.

Good morning! Thanks for dinner last night and letting me stay over. See you soon? -Jade

I leave it on the table, put my jacket on, and open the door, closing it softly behind me.

(A/N things are happening)