Chapter Three

Mulai dari awal

"Oh, you're not Amanda," he said when I got closer. "What are you doing on my aunts horse? Who are you?"

"Chill," I said to the boy who looked about my age. "I'm Emily. My great-grandmother owns this place. I was asked to exercise Levi today."

"Got it," he laughed. "Sorry. My name's Leo."

"Hi Leo, I'm actually just getting done," I admitted as I hopped off the horse. "I have a lot to do today."

"Do you need any help?" he asked, following me into the barn like a lost puppy. "I was going to set up some jumps to go over on Archie, my jumper. What do you say?"

"I have a jumper I need to school, so we might as well," I agreed. "Set the jumps up while I untack Levi?"

"Deal," he grinned, hurrying off to make a course. I untacked Levi and brushed him out, sponging him off where he got sweaty. After I put him out in his paddock, I put all his tack away and got started on my next horse, Gypsy. After I caught the stubborn chestnut from her field, I got her racked up. Just in time for Leo to me out in the arena.

I had just finished warming up when he led his stunning bay into the ring.

"Meet Archie," he called. "A looker, isn't he? Takes after his owner."

I let out a laugh. "Let's see what you're made of."

I went over a few jumps while Leo warmed up, and got used to Gypsy's floaty style.

"Not too bad," Leo said. "But let me show you how to really ride."

Leo began the course with Archie, the two working well together. I have to admit, Leo was a really good jumper.

"Not too bad," I mimicked, teasing him. "But the horse isn't supposed to save your ass everything you get a bad distance."

"Okay, I haven't had a lesson in a while," he admitted. "But I'd still kick your ass in competition."

"Maybe, but I'm more of a cross country kind of girl," I said. Now we were walking around the ring, cooling out.

"Really," he pursed his lips. "After watching you ride Levi, I'd peg you as a pleasure rider."

"I do that too," I said, "but my heart will forever be in eventing. Don't know what I'd do without it."

"I'm the same way about show jumping," Leo nodded. "I'd just about die if it was taken away from me."

When we got back to the barn, we both took care of our horses and let them out.

"What do you say, we get lunch later?" Leo asked as we watched Levi go running about his field.

"Sure," I said. "I'm obviously not from around here, so you better have a good place in mind."

"Only the best," he winked. Three horses and a shower later, it was noon. I walked back over to the boarding barn and found Leo talking to one of the barn hands.

"Hey, ready to go?" he asked, swinging his key around.

"Sure," I smiled, and we got into his truck.