Chapter Three

The steady beeping of my alarm woke me with a start

The steady beeping of my alarm woke me with a start. I sat up, realizing I was wearing yesterday's clothes with my books strewn across my bed.

I looked around, remembering I wasn't in Florida anymore, but in the heart of horse country in Kentucky. I didn't have to get up at 7 to feed and let out the horses, because my horses were thousands of miles away from me. Anyways, I was up and wasn't going back to sleep, so I dragged myself out of bed and into the kitchen.

"Hello, dear, how did you sleep?" my great-grandmother asked me from the stove. She was cooking eggs and bacon.

"Alright," I admitted. "That smells delicious."

"I have a couple horses I'm going to need you to exercise for me today, if you're up for it," she said as she stirred the eggs around.

"What about the services?" Hannah asked as she walked in.

"Oh, no sense in bringing her," she waved off. "She doesn't know anyone there, at least here she'll have something to do."

I glanced over at Hannah.

"Fine," she gave in. "But, you have to call if anything happens, and let me know if you're leaving the property."

"Deal," I smiled. "So, who am I riding today?"

-

"Here are the keys to the truck, and you know what to do," my great grandmother said as she handed me the keys to the Ford. "Call if you need anything."

"Thank you," I said, hugging her. Then I turned to Hannah, hugging her as well. "I'll be good."

They both waved good-bye before getting in another truck and driving away. I turned back to the large boarding barn in front of me. It was still early and none of the boarders were out yet, but it was Saturday and bound to get busy. The stablehands were already at work, bringing horses out and beginning on stalls.

"Oh, I'll take Levi," I said as a hand led the pretty paint from his stall. "Thanks."

Waiting until the rest of the horses were out, I put Levi on the cross ties and brushed him out. I was riding him because his owner was away for the weekend and wanted someone to exercise him. My great grandma was going to have one of the barn hands just lunge him, but when I showed up, she thought I was right for the job.

I racked him up in his elaborate western saddle and put bell boots and polo wraps on. I pulled my hair up into a bun and brought Levi out to the arena.

After a nice warm up, I just did some walk/trot/canter work with him. I knew nothing about reining, so I couldn't do too much. After Levi worked up a tiny bit of a sweat, I cooled him out.

"Amanda! Hey, you're here early!" A voice called from the fence.

"Um, what?" I asked riding over to the person.