Chapter 32: The Only Weapon

Começar do início

"Dodgson, hurry!" Alice shouted at one of her oldest friends. "He's right behind you!" Her body was cold while she helplessly watched in terror as the Black Knight reached Dodgson the dodo. Dodson turned around and pleaded with the knight for a moment, promising a better tasting pie next time, before the fiery sword plunged through his chest.

The last of the trappers, the Hatter, entered the castle then, the doors shutting closed behind him. He hurried up the steps to where Alice stood on the wall and removed his hat, bowing low. "Forgive me, dear Alice, I failed you. I trapped as trappiestest as I could..."

"You did your best, Hatter," Alice said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I couldn't have asked for more than that."

"Oh, Alice, I think sometimes you are too kind for a queen." He glanced at the approaching knight and gulped. "What is there to do now?"

"March Hare has made some sort of cannon, I think. It might work..."

"Don't mind me saying, Alice, but you seem to lack hope in Hare's big booming cannon."

Alice sighed. "I don't mean to, Hatter. I really don't. I just...don't know..."

Hatter opened his mouth to say something and then furrowed his brows in confusion. He looked at Alice's head and then behind her, and at her feet, in his coat, under his hat, on top of his own head, and then all around, utterly befuddled. Eyeing Alice curiously, he said, "Where is Chesh?"

Alice looked up, expecting to see him floating there, but saw only a smoke-filled sky. Worriedly, she snapped her gaze to the Black Knight and felt her insides imploding. There, standing on the road only a few paces away from the demon, was the Cheshire cat. He turned his head and met Alice's gaze, giving her a great, toothy grin.

"Worry not about me, dear Alice," he called out. "We will see each other again."

"NO!" Alice shouted. She hurried across the wall, leapt down the steps, and rushed to the closed doors, ordering the guards there to open them. Hatter grabbed her and pulled her back, pressing her against the wall.

"Don't do anything foolish!" he said to her, his eyes wide. "Chesh is a smart cat, the very smartest I've ever met, and he wouldn't want you getting in danger. Stay here, Alice, behind the walls, with me and the others. Wonderland needs its queen."

Alice fought against him until he spoke his last sentence, where she stopped moving altogether. "Wonderland's queen. That's it, Hatter! That's who can help us!"

"Well, yes, that is what I was saying, Alice. You must stay and help—"

"No, not me! The Red Queen! She ruled Wonderland longer than I ever did. If anyone knows how to stop this demon, it's her!" Empowered by renewed hope, Alice left Hatter standing in confusion and raced to the keep.

Hatter watched her go for a moment, pondered deeply, and then shrugged and hurried after.

****

Meanwhile, on the road, the Cheshire cat watched the Black Knight approach as he licked himself. Its red eyes looked down at the striped feline and narrowed. Chesh finished licking his paw and stretched his legs, yawning loudly.

"Give me Selvina," the Black Knight growled. "Or your world dies."

"Can a world truly die?" Chesh asked. "Can you truly kill it?"

"I will kill you!"

"Now, now, there is no need for such attitude. I asked a simple question."

The Black Knight pointed its sword at Chesh's face. "Give me Selvina or I kill you."