Chapter 18

Cedric

Monday seemed to be dragging on as usual. Cedric kept tuning the professor in front of him out of his mind as he stared at the clock on the wall, anxious awaiting the four o'clock bell that would release the whole school. Today would be the last time he had to sit in an overcrowded lecture hall full of spoiled brats that wouldn't noticed if he just disappeared. Even if they did notice, they wouldn't care. Cedric was just the dirt on the bottom of their shoes to them. He refused to live like that any longer. He was tired of it. His trip home finally opened up his eyes. He knew what had to be done if he ever wanted to get out of this cycle of failure and disappointment. Today was the he chose to change his fate. The bell rings. It's time.

Zain

He hears the bell ring throughout the library as he reads his newest book about water-based magics. He hasn't been able to put it down since he got it. However, Zain couldn't wait to leave the empty room full of precious books today. Cedric came back the day before but wasn't anywhere to be seen during breakfast or lunch that day. When Zain messaged him on his notepad, Cedric would just say that he was trying to get extra notes. Zain couldn't be happier that Cedric was finally getting the help he needed for his classes, but Camnor still wasn't sure. He still kept insisting that something was wrong. Zain has no clue as to why. Still, Cedric promised they could meet up today once classes were over. He couldn't wait to see his friend again.

Zain waits patiently at the front of the dining hall for Cedric. He couldn't stand still as he searched for his friend's face in the sea of multi-colored uniforms. He couldn't help but feel a little uneasy as each second passed by and no Cedric was in sight. He felt even more unsettled at Camnor's silence.

"You okay, Kid?" Cedric says from beside him.

"Cedric! You're..."

"Yes, I'm back. Listen I have a favor to ask of you."

"What is it?"

"Did you go through that handbook they gave us before school started?"

"Yes, I had plenty of time to read it over multiple times before school started. I wanted to make sure I knew how to conduct myself properly before coming here."

"Did that handbook have a map?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well, the map on our notepads won't let me see every place in the school. Just the ones on my schedule. Can you tell if there is any way to get to the roof?"

"There isn't. But there is an attic."

"Does that attic have a window?"

"Yes, I went up with Uncle Alex to help clean it. We also got to talk about how school was going."

"How big is that window?"

"It was pretty big, but my uncle used this panel next to it to take away the glass so we could get some air in while we worked. It felt really nice."

"Could a person fit in that window?"

"Mhmm. I almost fell out of it when Uncle Alex took away the glass."

"How do I get to the attic?"

"If you go up to the top floor of the dorms, it brings you up there."

"Thanks, Kid," Cedric says while patting Zain's shoulder before he runs off in the directions of their dormitory.

"You have to go after him!" Camnor exclaims.

"What? Why?" Zain asks.

"He wants to jump out of the attic window! That's why he kept asking you about it! He plans to kill himself!"