Chapter 20 Part 2

Start from the beginning

Beside me, Joel tensed. A mini-avalanche of paper crashed to the floor. Both men ignored it, evaluating the other in silence. "You hope Alannah's transformation will force the issue."

"Remember how Mitra reacted to Caed's? Hers will be worse. It's an opportunity –"

"A risk," Joel said, "we shouldn't consider without first discussing it with Mitchel and Endellion."

Terry grimaced, but nodded his assent. "Her involvement in this mess troubles me the most."

"Endellion's a good person," I protested.

"The problem," Terry said, "is the legends surrounding her gate and what happens to people who summon it. The moment we introduce her people will begin asking how she left the Ancient Gate and why. Once they discover your relationship with her, they will realize you summoned the Ancient Gate and lived to tell it. You're not the first person adopted by a guardian. My parents were living when Krishna moved in with us and helped raise me. In every case, the guardian served as either the master or protector on a gate that was accidentally summoned by the child. Your relationship with Endellion practically tattoos Ancient on your forehead. Don't glare at me. It's the truth. Mitchel proposed a few alternative explanations, but they all need corroborating documentation from the Ancients' Council."

"And they don't interfere in clan affairs," I finished.

"Exactly. Endellion's called in a few favors, but we won't know anything for another week. I wish I could send you back to Mitchel's – out of sight, out of mind – while we close the holes in your story. I can't. We're down two members plus Diane, who's tending the injured, and three apprentices. The Well's on lockdown until we replace the melted ward stones. Two weeks minimum, and that's provided Endellion's willing to help us. If not, we're looking at three months. Coddling you is a luxury I can't afford."

A flick of Terry's fingers summoned a leather map tube, a canvas knapsack lashed to a wooden frame, and a water gourd. He twisted his wrist. A wooden crate laden with bundles of paper skidded across the floor, coming to a rest at my feet. A few were bound in red tape, the others in blue. Personnel records like the ones I'd seen Uncle Manfred working on hundreds of times. One of the few things he explained, but never let me read.

I thumbed through the records, tallying them. Thirty records. Six bound in red, the remainder in blue.

By tradition, there are one hundred forty apprentice candidates. These candidates are broken into teams of five with one designated as their leader, denoted by the red tape. Their job was to hold their position and any assigned gates until help arrived.

Among the sealer corps and the army, they were simply known as The Lost. First to respond, first to die. The job came with a life bond and, after twenty years of service, a guaranteed promotion to commander. Even if the Sealer Corps didn't have an available legion, they still granted them the promotion. At least they did on paper. In reality, a candidate's average life expectancy was only a few months better than mine as Terry's apprentice. Commanders were the rare survivors.

That I received six teams instead of the standard four did not bode well.

Terry picked up the leather tube, popped the top off, and removed a roll of documents. He peeled the first one off and unrolled it, revealing a map of Headquarters and the surrounding mountains. "We've established a temporary summon site here," he stabbed a mountainous area with his finger. I leaned forward, noting the thick hachure marks. Judging by their density and thickness as compared to the others, the mountains were actually cliffs. "Your guide departs from the northeastern trail in exactly one hour with or without you."

"Which is where exactly?" I prompted when he didn't elaborate.

"Map's in the case," Terry said tersely. "Your first priority is the Central Keystone then the Marstow Gate."

"The Marstow was never fully repaired," Joel said.

"Which is why we need her summoning it. Feed it, examine the seals, get a feel for how much stress it can withstand. The full list of your gates is enclosed. Examine the secondary and tertiary gates with an eye towards moving them up a level. The Central Keystone knows the requirements. Have him assist, but keep in mind that he wants the gates as strong as possible. His preferred standard and the minimum standard are not the same. We'll compare notes one month from today. Understand this, apprentice. These are your gates. When they are attacked, you handle the summons and repair while your teams defend the anchor point. In this, you are a master sealer tasked with the Border Guard's keystone. If I give you an order that you believe conflicts with your gate's interests, you better speak up. In all else, you are my apprentice."

Heart pounding in my chest, I nodded once. Who in their right mind would give a new apprentice the Border Guard's greatest asset? The tariffs the Central Keystone generated alone...

"Once the healers clear them, your teams will join you at the site. How you train your people is your business, apprentice. Keep your records up to date and file the standard reports in a timely fashion. Manfred requisitioned your kit before he left. Someone will deliver it once it's finished. In the meantime, I've donated a few tunics. I don't care what you wear on the mountain, but down here you need to be seen as my apprentice."

Wear the stinky uniform. Got it.

I nursed my tea as the conversation turned to Terry's meeting with Aric, Dracon Elder and interim Dracon Chief. According to Aric, they had no knowledge of any issues with their gate, it was perfectly maintained. He was offended Terry would even suggest otherwise, never mind summoning her without the clan's consent. All told, Aric wasted two hours protesting his, the council, and the clan's innocence in that order. The meeting ended shortly after Terry flat out asked if the entire council were deaf and blind. To think, Joel implied Terry was more diplomatic.

I listened as they debated the political ramifications and possible outcomes. Several times, I disagreed with their conclusions. Monitoring the Dracon would not stop them from attacking their gate again. The keystones always monitored each other, which didn't stop the Dracon from destroying their keystone during the second war or torturing its replacement. When the debate died down, Joel excused himself. Terry dismissed me immediately afterward.