"Oh thank goodness you're hear, Lucinda," the older woman gasped, grasping Lucinda's pale hands in her own withered ones. A white wicker basket was dangling lightly from the young girls wrist, filled with herbs, animal bones, and other things that she would use to 'heal' Franklin Jones.

"I came as soon as I could," she murmured convincingly, following behind the Duchess. She was lead down the hall the woman had previously come from, and into a large room with a four poster bed at the back of the room, many household servants and doctors surrounding it.

"He can't breathe," Duchess Matilda sobbed, fresh tears falling down her cheeks. Lucinda silently made her way over to the bed, sparing the man a glance with her twinkling blue eyes. She was a powerful witch, not even needing a spell. All she had to do was say a few words and focus her magical energy on an object, and that was her spell.

"You," the old man wheezed, blood splattering from his lips and onto his white bed shirt as he coughed violently. Lucinda could see Matilda and her daughter holding onto each other, Charlotte's hand clutching that of the man she wanted to marry.

"Correct," the red head smiled, then turned to face the rooms inhabitants. "I need space, so I would appreciate it if you would all get out." Duchess Matilda quickly ushered everyone out of the room, desperately hoping the man she loved could be saved. Once everyone was gone, Lucinda shot Duke Franklin Jones a wicked smirk.

"I'll have burned at the stake," the old man gasp, and Lucinda rolled her eyes, setting her basket down on the bed side table.

"No you won't," she answered casually. "You'll be dead in the next few minutes." Lucinda had left a hex bag in the flower pot by the rooms door, rendering the room sound proof.

"You can't —"

"— Oh but darling, I can; and I will," Lucinda chuckled, shaking her head. She busied her hands with a piece of canvas as well as herbs and animal bones, preparing them to make yet another hex bag; though this one was much more powerful.

"I suspect this will hurt," Lucinda hummed after a long few moments of silence — ignoring the fact that Franklin Jones was continuously coughing up blood — as she tied off the bag. "I would prepare yourself."

"You will burn," Franklin hissed as she tucked the hex bag under his shirt, patting the cloth over top of it afterwards, shooting the old man a sweet smile.

"There's no proof," she chuckled. "I do not believe I will ever feel the flames below my feet." She let out a sigh and took three small steps back, bringing her hands up so they were in line with her shoulders and hovering above his chest.

"Acerbissima morte!"

She continued to chant the same thing over and over again a smirk twisting onto her lips when he began to cough more violently, blood now covering his chest.

"You'll burn in hell," Franklin choked out, dying. Lucinda rolled her eyes at his limp body, lifting the collar of his shirt to remove the hex bag.

"In order to burn in hell, Darling, you have to die first," she chuckled, shaking her head. "And I don't plan on dying."

After she removed all the evidence of Franklin Jones' violent death, she easily put on a solemn expression and opened the door, glancing at Lady Charlotte before turning to Matilda.

"I did all I could," she murmured. "But he was too far gone." Lady Matilda collapsed into her hand maids arms, loud sobs falling from her lips as the young dark haired girl removed her from the hallway. The rest of the servants disappeared slowly, silently paying their respects, until only Lady Charlotte and Alec Bravel remained.

"Did he know," she implied, swallowing thickly as Alec wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Lucinda nodded, letting out a tired sigh as she looped the basket through her arm.

"Indeed he did," she mused. "Now I believe you owe me payment; money or secrets. Take your pick." Charlotte and Alec shared a brief glance at how casual the red haired girl seemed, then the smaller of the pair let out a sigh.

"I am with child," Charlotte breathed, and Lucinda's brows flew up.

"That is indeed enough payment," she chuckled, the spun on her heel and strutted down the hall, hips swaying with each step. "I'm sorry for your loss, Duchess Matilda," Lucinda whispered, her expression changing from playful to solemn in a split second.

"Thank you for trying, Miss Lucinda," Matilda whispered, wiping her eyes with a hanker chief. Lucinda fought away the laughter that bubbled up her throat and she nodded.

"I only wish I could have done more."

Duchess Matilda grasped her wrist before she could fully exit the house. "I know you did this for my daughter, and for that I am thankful," she whimpered, and then walked away.

A/N

I'm really hoping this turns out okay

H.