Pilot

Love 15

Author's Note This is virtually, for those who remember, my "Ace of Hearts" fic, 2.0. That would have been a number of years ago now, wow, I'm old.

FYI, Italics, different language, should be self explanatory, normal, in English; just in terms of conversation.(Excluding texting)

Disclaimer Fabricated filaments of my imagination.

The Australian summer is brutal and to play tennis in, it's almost unimaginable. Especially to those who have traveled from the other side of the world, from the coldest corners of Europe. The Australian Open is not only a physical test of skill, but endurance and mental capacity. The competition is tough, but the heat beating down on exposed flesh, tougher.

This is no less troublesome for the young Polish player, Maja Sówka. Her sweat band is drenched as beads of water escape from underneath it, leaving shiny lanes behind as they roll down her forehead.

She sprints forward towards the net, both hands on her racket, tightening the grip slightly. Jerzy Janowicz has just dropped a short ball and she is determined to get to it. It has made contact with the racket, as she throws all her weight behind the shot.

"Splendid! A hundred more of those, and we will win the mix doubles for sure!" he shouts, jogging backwards to retrieve the ball.

"Oh hush! I think we're finished for today. I need to get ready for tonight's celebrations," she replies, taking a sip from her half frosted bottle off the players bench. "It's already quarter to one."

A highlight of the Open is the player's party, the beginning of the tournament where all the players are invited to socialise and catch up with others. Jerzy and Maja have already had the pleasure to do so prematurely, as they have just finished competing in Perth at the Hopman Cup. They completed the tournament as runners up.

"You're right. We can get going."

"At last, thank you," she replies, scrolling through her notifications, the first message is from Benard Tomic.

Benard Tomic 2:34 pm
Looking forward to catching up tonight. x

She rolls her bottom lip between her teeth and tucks a strand of fly away hair behind her ear contemplating on whether to reply.

Maja Sówka 2:40 pm
Yeah you too.

"Hot date?" asks Jerzy, hoisting his tennis bag over his shoulder.

"Tomic."

"Oh how is he? Anything happening on that  front?" 

"No," she says, dropping her phone into the pocket of her shorts.

"Sure, sure."

"I swear it, I just want to focus on tennis. Hopman showed how well we play doubles, so I'm really excited to explore that element this tournament and for the rest of the season."

"Who are you, and what have you done with Maja?"

"I'm serious, I didn't compete in Aus Open last year and want to come back with a bang," she replies, opening the drivers seat of her little red hire car.