The importance of Niyyah

The Importance of Niyyah (intention) in Ramadan

Intention is one of the biggest aspects of Ramadan and Islam, intention means that you have resolved or set your heart to doing something and pray that Allah will help you complete that task. In fact there is reward for even intending to do something good. So just how important is intention in Ramadan?

Most scholars of Islam agree that intention is required to fast Ramadan if the intention is not made than your fast is not valid. Also, if you are fasting or praying taraweeh everyday than it is okay to make your intention one day and not repeat it every day; as long as there is not break in your fasting/praying, if there is a break then you have to renew your intention. It is not recommended to say your intention out load saying it in your heart is enough.

Any thought that crosses your mind about fasting or praying the next day is classified as intention.

Evidence:

Prophet (SAW) said: “Actions are but by intentions, and everyone shall have but that which he intended…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari)

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not intend to fast before dawn, there is no fast for him.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi

I conclude with a hadith narrated by Umar Ibn Khatab: The Prophet Muhamamd (SAW) said: “The reward of deeds depend upon the intentions, and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended.”