How do we know when Ramadan Starts?

We’ve talked about various aspects of Ramadan without touching upon a very important subject: How do we know when Ramadan starts, or more accurately how do we spot Ramadan. This subject causes much dispute every year in Masjid’s around the world. I have compiled some hadith and ayahs from the Qur’an about spotting Ramadan.

In a hadith narrated by Abu Hurayah (may Allah be pleased with him)

Allah's Messenger (SAW) said: Whenever you sight the new moon (of the month of Ramadan) observe fast, and when you sight it (the new moon of Shawwal) break it, and if the sky is cloudy for you, then observe fast for thirty days.

+This hadith explains that when the new moon of Ramadan is sighted then the fast begins, and when the new moon of Shawwal  is sighted then the fast is done (Ramadan is over). If the new moon of Shawal isn’t spotted then Ramadan lasts thirty days.

In a hadith narrated by Abu Hurayah (may Allah be pleased with him)

Allah's Messenger (SAW) said: Observe fast on sighting it (the new moon) and break (fast) on sighting it (the new moon), but if the sky is cloudy for you, then complete the number (of thirty).

"The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan), he must fast that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number (of days which one did not fast must be made up) from other days. 2:185 (Surah al- baqara ayah 185)

What about the traveling person?

In a hadith narrated by Abu Dawud (may Allah be pleased with him), the prophet Muhammad said: If a person finds himself in a country where the people have already started fasting, he must fast with them, because he must follow the ruling of the country he is in. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Fast when the people fast, break your fast when the people break their fast, and offer your sacrifice when the people offer their sacrifice.”

+This means that a person traveling during Ramadan has to fast with the community in which he is in (or break his fast and make up the missed days). He has to continue fasting with the community he is in even if they break their fast a day early than his home country. If he has fasted less than 29 day’s than he can make those day(s) up later on.

I end with a hadith narrated by Abu Hurayah (may allah be pleased with him Allah's Apostle said, "When Ramadan begins, the gates of Paradise are opened."