Who is exempt from fasting

Who is exempt from fasting?

The holy month of Ramadan is almost upon us, this month the 9th on the Islamic calendar is sometimes referred to as the month of forgiveness because Allah is especially generous in granting dua’aa. We often speak about the blessings that the fasting Muslim receives without addressing the small percentage of Muslims who for some reason or another cannot fast during the month of Ramadan. So who is exempt?

+The mentally challenged

+Children who are not adolescent: fasting is not mandatory for children who have not undergone puberty

+ The Elderly who are sick.

+ Permanent sickness: Someone who suffers from a permanent sickness such as cancer or diabetes do not have to observe fast.

+ The ill/sick: Sick means that if you suffer some kind of disease or sickness that will be made worse by fasting. Someone who has a fever or bad cough etc. also fall under this category.

+Pregnant and Nursing woman: A pregnant woman who feels unable to fast during Ramadan or is advised by her doctor not to fast during Ramadan is exempt from fasting.

+ The traveling: Traveling depends on where you live and the type of transportation you’re using. For example if you’re traveling through a hot dessert area with no air condition or in a crowded bus then you’re exempt from fasting. However if you’re traveling in a way that does not cause you hardship then you must fast.

Evidence:

Allah say’s in the holy Quran in Surah at al Baqara ayah 184 and 185:

“The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan, i.e., is present at his home), he must observe sawm (fasting) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe sawm (fasting) must be made up) from other days. Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allah for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him.”

Interpretation of this Ayah:

Ibn ‘Abbaas said: This is a concession allowed to old men and women, who can only fast with difficulty; they are allowed to break the fast and to feed one poor person for each day of fasting missed. This also applies to pregnant and nursing women, if they are afraid.”

The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) says:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has relieved the traveller of the obligation of fasting and half of the prayer, and He has relieved the pregnant woman and nursing mother of the obligation of fasting.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi

So then what?

The persons exempt from fasting doesn’t get off scotch free they have to:

+if there is any time left in the month of Ramadan when the sick person gets better than they must fast it and if the pregnant woman gets approval from her doctor to fast then she must fast

+ the traveling person can fast with the community that he/she is in at the time

+if the exempt persons cannot fast any time during the month of Ramadan than they must either make up the day’s they missed or feed the poor a meal for everyday of Ramadan they couldn’t fast.

Conclusion: Allah is a merciful lord he doesn’t burden his slave s with hardship that they cannot handle. I conclude with a hadith :It is related from Sahl that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "There is a gate in the Garden called ar-Rayyan which those who fast will enter on the Day of Rising, and none but they will enter it." It will be said, 'Where are the fasters?' They will stand up and none but they will enter it. When they have entered it, it will be closed and no one else will enter it."    

 Authors Note: 

Inshallah, I'm going to try to upload something about Ramadan everyday.