019.

CHAPTER NINETEEN
sugar parents

suddenly, an engine roared not too far

suddenly, an engine roared not too far. max jumped up from the staring huddle and ran to the window in the living room.

rock music was blasting in a car that was driving close by. it grew louder and louder.

"it's my brother." max stated. "he can't know i'm here. he'll kill me. he'll kill us!"

amelia and steve snapped their heads to max's words. they leaned off the counter and rushed into the living room. they saw two headlights beam through the window.

"shit," amelia's heart dropped to a huge plummet. "i had a date tonight."

the tires screeched to a hault. billy turned off the car and slowly stepped out of his car with a cigarette in his mouth, shocked as he see steve already standing outside on the porch. "am i dreaming, or this that you, harrington?"

"yeah, it's me, don't cream your pants."

billy chuckled and took off his jacket as steve walked up to him. "what are you doing here, amigo?" billy asked him.

"i could ask you the same thing... amigo." steve tilted his head. "don't you have a date?"

"yeah," billy put on a wider smirk. "but i was put on the hunt for my stepsister. a little birdie told me she was here."

"huh, that's weird. i don't know her." steve shrugged. "small? redhead? bit of a bitch." billy described her.

"doesn't ring a bell. sorry, buddy." billy began nodding and took out his cig. "you know," he sighed. "i dont know, this..." he clicked his tongue. "this whole situation, harrington, i don't know. it's giving me the heebie–jeebies."

"oh yeah? why's that?" steve asked nonchalantly. billy shook his head as he took another huff of his cigarette. "i hear from tammy and eloise that amelia was dragged away by you yesterday, nobody hearing from her ever sense." he began with smoke leaving his lips. "so, i go around town looking for her, but she's nowhere to be spotted. then my 13–year–old sister goes missing all day... and then i find her with you. in a stranger's house. and you lie to me about it."

steve chuckled and turned his head. "man, were you dropped too much as a child, or what?"

billy chuckled and licked his teeth with a set grin. "i don't know what you don't understand about what i just said—she's not here." steve stated. billy stepped up closer to the boy and then pointed to the window with his lit cigarette.