001.

CHAPTER ONE
champagne glasses

steve harrington, for the first time in his life as a teenager, stayed home on a sunday night

steve harrington, for the first time in his life as a teenager, stayed home on a sunday night. it wasn't because he was grounded or left his keys in the car again for the 7th time this year, but because he'd rather stay home. all by himself.

he was in his room, upstairs, watching tv through the tiny television he got the summer before.

he laughed softly at he saw one of the many commercials him and amelia oddly enjoyed. just as he had the idea of maybe ringing his friend up, his phone rang. he reached for the phone and actually had an idea of who was calling. "hello?"

"wasaaaah!" amelia cruz screamed in excitement through the phone. steve grinned to himself. "wow, you're drunk."

"nahhhh!" amelia giggled. "one," the rich–brown haired boy held up a finger. "where are you? two, i can smell the alcohol through the phone. and three, where'd you get it?"

"hehe. i went by cristina rods' small 'get together' and might've drank too much of her dad's scotch–" steve raised a brow. "but it's whatever!" she quickly explained through the phone. "i left 'cause i got bored soooo," amelia perched herself up on the cafe table. "what's my favorite loser doing tonight?"

"i'm at home." steve answered. he caught himself messing with the phone wire, stopping himself quickly as a sudden rush ran through his chest. he cleared his throat, "you?"

amelia sighed softly and looked around the semi–full cafe. "i'm..." she burped lightly, a giggle following. "excuse me." she said to herself. steve laughed lightly at her own pardon and went on, "i'm at lina's cafe."

"ah..." the boy nodded softly. he slid off his bed and grabbed his outworn jean jacket. "you should totally come by and buy me a coffee." amelia suggested playfully.

steve's smile still hasn't disappeared. he ran his hand through his hair as he slid on his shoes. "and why should i?" he teased.

"it's a special week." amelia said with a slur and a cute head tilt. steve imagined her body language over the phone. it was his favorite thing to do since she always did small little quirks.

steve switched his phone from one cheek to another. "why is it special?" he asked. amelia yawned lightly. "it'll be a year, steve–o! our friendship bloomed almost 365 days ago."

steve stood up and walked to his dresser, grabbing his keys from the top. "well, happy one year annivers–"

"no!" amelia shouted. "don't spoil it!" she started to yawn and covered her mouth. "it's on wednesday. well, it was on a tuesday when we first met, but" she yawned again. "you know, the days work weird."