Chapter 27 - Musicals and Roses

Empty. His chair is empty. I don't know why I'm so surprised, he hasn't sat with me at lunch all week. I see him in the mornings and he's completely normal. He sits in his chair with the smallest of smiles, one hand taking notes as he listens attentively to the lecture, his other hand around mine under the table.

I'm pretty sure Ms. Bogarty thinks Harry is planning a murder or something though as she keeps casting wary glances over her shoulder. I don't blame her though, he's changed a lot. He no longer sits with his feet on the desk, tapping away on his phone. Now he just sits politely and listens.

This morning was no different from usual, but following the trend of this week, he isn't at lunch. So I'm left sitting here alone, picking at the rough bread rolls absentmindedly, dropping the small shredded pieces onto the red tray.

I glance at the clock, still somehow nursing a small hope he'd come striding in and slide onto the small seat across from me.

And that's when the music starts.

Like me, everyone in the cafeteria looks up in confusion at the music playing through the intercom. I know I've heard it somewhere. A few people suddenly grin, pumping their fists in the air and laughing to their friends, probably recognizing the song. But I'm still lost.

Then the doors open.

Then someone walks in.

And then, my heart soars.

Harry stands at the other end of the cafeteria, a rose in one hand and a headset with a small microphone near his nervous face. Clad in a slick tuxedo, his hair is styled up in a messy yet strangely attractive do. And best of all, his excited eyes are locked on mine. And as he makes his way towards me, he starts to sing.

"Take my hand, I'll take the lead

And every turn, you'll be safe with me.

Don't be afraid, afraid to fall.

You know I'll catch you through it all."

He's right in front of me now. I can't breathe. I can't stop grinning. He offers his hand to me and I readily take it, getting to my feet.

"And you can't keep us apart.

Cause my heart is

wherever you are."

As he sings, a dazzling smile is on his perfect lips as one arm wraps around my waist, his other land lacing through mine with the vibrant red rose trapped between our fingers. Catcalls and whistles echo through the room, bringing heat to my cheeks as I place my other hand on his shoulder. And then, we're twirling.

"It's like catching lightning the chances of finding someone like you.

It's one in a million, the chances of feeling the way we do.

And with every step we take together, we just keep on getting better.

So can I have this dance?"

I can't help but gasp a little in surprise, holding onto him a bit tighter when he leans closer to me, gripping my waist tighter as he dips me.

"Can I have this dance?"

The music drifts to a close and everyone is immediately applauding. But I can't take my gaze from Harry's nervous smile as he brings me back to my feet. And then he steps away from me, smoothing his tuxedo as he gets onto one knee, holding up the rose with a slightly shaky hand.