Chapter 12- Fire

Chapter 12- Fire

I stand in front of the mirror, bouncing on my heels slightly as I wait. The hair curler sits off to the side, warming up. As I shift my weight nervously between my feet, a slight chill rushes across the few inches of my stomach that showed.

I'm wearing a white blouse, skinny jeans with a brown belt around my waist, and brown flats to match. My hair is delicately braided into a neat fishtail braid, and my dark eyes watch my reflection, searching for any flaw to be improved.

That's how it had been for the past half hour. Feel ready, find an issue, fix it, and repeat. But now matter how much time I spent fixing my appearance, I couldn't shake the nervous feeling that I'd forgotten something.

I jump slightly as I hear Alice chirp cheerfully "Knock, knock!" I turn to see the small pixie-like girl. She gives me a bright smile, her tiny hands flying to her mouth.

"You look so pretty!" She squeals excitedly. I give her a small smile for her sake, looking away as my cheeks burn. "Thanks..." I murmur quietly. Her hands clench into fists as she squeals again, giving a little hop as she rushes forward.

She meets my eyes through the reflection, beaming. "Harry is gonna fall in love with you..." She coos admirably, her eyes flickering over me again.

I chuckle quietly at her enthusiasm. "It's just one date, Alice... It may not even work out..." I remind her patiently.

She pouts, folding her arms over her chest. "Stop killing my buzz!" She whines.

I laugh, picking up the curler and trapping the ends of my bangs between the two plates. Alice watches me quietly as I wrap my bangs around it, careful to keep the metal from touching my skin.

As it nears the top of the strand of hair, I hear the three quick knocks downstairs. I jump a little, feeling the heat of the curler drift closer towards my face. Then I don't know what happens.

I lose it.

Harrys P.O.V.

I fix my collar in the mirror. Up or down, I question myself. My hands tremble in excitement and I finally smooth it down against my button up shirt. I comb my fingers a few more times through my hair before giving up.

No matter how much product I put in it, it laid on my head in boring curls. My chest tightens in stress at my appearance.

Dark jeans, a navy blue button up with the top few buttons undone, a black jacket to match my jeans, and then my hair is a mess of curls. The clock chimes, signaling it's six o'clock. Diana will be expecting me in fifteen minutes. So I push open the door, letting it swing shut behind me.

I stride confidently down the street, forcing myself to leave my worries behind me. The air is slightly humid, but a pleasant warm besides that.

I can't help but wonder if Diana is as nervous as I am. If she spent as much time fretting in front of the mirror as I did.

Then her house comes into sight.

My breath catches in my throat and unwillingly my feet pull myself to a stop. I'm scared. I don't know how to approach the house. I'm starting to shake in my place but I force myself to move further. I walk up the driveway when suddenly bright lights flicker on. I jump, gasping as my hand flies to my heart. Then I realize it's just the porch lights.

The lights that are meant to scare away wild animals and criminals. And for all I know, her parents think I'm both. But I force myself forwards anyways. I walk up onto her porch, raising my shaking hand towards the door.