Chapter 1: Who Are You?

"Am I?" I ask hopeful, holding my breath and staring at the most handsome guy I have ever seen. He's not just handsome, he's flawless... perfect... beautiful in a way I have never seen anyone be.

If he gives a positive answer  I am ready to kiss him senseless, because not only will I be happy that I am alive, but also those features...

Oh, God those features, they could bring me to my knees. 

I suddenly notice that the night sky is so illuminated with the stars and the moon that I can clearly see him. It feels like the light is directly falling on him.

His nose and jawline were probably shaped by the most talented sculpture in the world, his full lips painted by a skilled painter.

Never before have I seen anyone like him.

But what gets me the most, are his eyes. His one eye is the color of the clear sky on a beautiful spring day, while the other one is dark grey. Freaking breathtaking.

And somehow, for some weird reason, just by looking through his eyes, I feel my heart clench under my chest.

I feel like I've missed him all my life, even though I've never even known him. 

The stranger is still hovering above me, studying my face, as if searching for something, before stopping and staring right into my eyes.

I've never been afraid of a challenge, so I accept this one as well and stare back into his, as if daring him to look away first. He doesn't though. He smirks at me instead, and from what I understand, he appreciates my courageous act.

"You're in a place you don't know, naked..."

"What!" I shout at him looking down at myself only moving my eyes. To my great, great surprise I'm wearing a hospital gown. Correction- a wet hospital gown.

"Oh, God!"

"He's not gonna help you," the guy mumbles.

"Why is the gown wet?"

"Found you in the lake. Anyway, what I was trying to say is that you are in a place you barely know, naked_..."

"Almost," I correct him making those lips turn up into a smirk again.

"Practically almost naked, with a stranger, and yet you find it in yourself to stare at me with those bold eyes of yours... Do you know who I am?" He asks cocking his head to one side.

"Am I supposed to?"

"That would have been helpful for you." He brings his face even closer now and I'm not  backing away again. "Are you sure you don't know me?"

"Why? Do YOU know me?" I shoot his question back at him. I try to sit up and at first I don't succeed since my whole body aches when I move, as if it's broken. But when I try the second time, I manage to sit up carefully and lean toward the guy the way he is leaning toward me.

"Birdie Stephanie Nicols."

My mouth hangs open in astonishment. How in the world does he know my birth name? What the fuck is going on here?

"How do you know that?"

"I have my sources." He says looking away finally and standing up. Now that his eyes are not piercing through me, I realize I can breathe better.

"Are you God?"

"Don't insult me." He glares at me. "Though women tend to think that about me."

Yeah, so original.

I make a show of sticking my point finger inside my mouth as if gagging and I think he gives me a small smile, but I can't be sure. All the smiles he gave me during this past 5 or whatever minutes were mocking and sarcastic, but this one somehow is... different.