Chapter 2: Hate Me

I've read the Bible, really, I have. It was a must for our Catholic little stay-in school, so I know enough about Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah and his sons.

While it does mention Satan, there is no such goddamn place as Borderline and it's Watcher. So excuse me while I keep doubting the guy as he leads me farther inside the woods.

He's walking in front of me all long legs, confidence and power. Just by looking at him you could think he's some kind of an influential person, a king, a supernatural force.

There is also this girl, who's been looking for him until minutes ago. She has blonde hair and pale skin, big chocolate eyes and a blank face expression. She's walking silently next to me looking at me out of the corner of her eye, studying me, thinking I don't notice it.

On our way to wherever they are taking me, I pay attention to everything, trying to see if anything is extraordinary here. But I soon realize that, if he's telling the truth and it's indeed a place called Borderline, then there is nothing weird or out of place here. Everything is normal except for one thing- there's no one here. No single person.

If he IS telling the truth and I'm in Borderline, why am I alone here? Isn't anyone else fighting for their life? That's impossible, isn't it?

I wait for the strangers to talk, so I can get something, anything, any information out of them, but guess what?! They have gone mute, so I try to pry for answers myself.

"Hey," I whisper nudging the girl slightly with my ankle. "What's your name?"

"Dina," She answers looking straight ahead.

"Nice to meet you, Dina. I'm Stephanie, but just call me Steph." I offer her a smile, which gets completely ignored. "Is this place really called Borderline?"

"Yes," she answers never looking at me.

"Are we really in between life and death?"

"We are."

I lean into her to whisper my next question.

"Why is that jerk called Watcher? Is he an angel or something."

"He will talk to you soon." She tells me, before calling out for the guy. "She just called you a jerk! Wow, you did manage to show your true colors in a recorded time."

"What?" I exclaim surprised, my eyes open wide. Did she just hand me over to him on a silver plate? Where is the sisterhood? Woah, unbelievable.

"I know, I've heard and I'm thinking of ways to make her regret it." The guy calls back unfazed. "You too, Dina." He adds throwing a glance toward us.

"I have done nothing to deserve this bitchy attitude." Dina throws back, cracking a smile. Finally!

"You know what you've done and the joke's getting old."

Just exactly who are they?

We come to a stop in front of an enormous building just in the middle of the woods. The view takes my breath away, because I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. It looks like a castle out of a dark fairy tale. 

Thanks to the dim lights coming from the lanterns hanging around the tall walls, I can see the absolutely mesmerizing carvings on every single piece of stone. The carvings are of people and birds and angels and what seems to be scenes about which I've only know from the Bible. 

The plants climbing up the walls at some places and the wooden windows with absolutely no light, give me both the creeps and the absolute excitement.