Speeding up; I wind my way up the driveway. I park the car in an alleyway under the emergency stairs and launch myself out of the car and zip out of the alleyway around the corner ignoring the SUV breaking not to far away. Pulling the door shut behind me just as they reached it I waste no time in bolting up the stairs of the building and into my apartment.

"Nagisa!" I call not waiting for the boys response as I knew he was home. Locking the door shut I grab the bag that I kept stashed beside the door. Thanking the gods for packing earlier before we moved, a tuff of blonde hair walks around the corner groggily making me click my tongue in annoyance.

"Gum-"

"Looks like we're moving earlier then expected." I state hastedly as I throw his jacket on him making the boys eyes widen.

"T-they've found us already!?" He stutters stumbling over to his disgarded shoes and shoving them on, along with his arms through the sleeves of his jacket.

"I don't know, how about you go out there and ask them!"  I hiss shouldering the bag and snatching his wrist walking to the window briskly. Throwing open the window, I toss the bag onto the fire escape. Before I could usher Nagisa out, the front door bursts open and four armed men ran in.

"MOVE NOW!" Shoving the 12 year old out the window, he fearfully scrambles down the fire escape making way to the car which was parked underneath it.

Hearing the cock of a gun I freeze with my back to them and raise my hands in the air. My red eyes catch the reflection of one of them in the raised window as he moves forward to grab me. Right before his hand could touch me, I spun around placing a kick to his jaw that sent him sprawling. The next one started for me, but I ran at him and jumped up, locking my legs around his neck leaning my torso backwards, flipping him in a way that would surely keep him down. My leg shot out to catch myself before I fell as well, and I straightened, my eyes landing on the man I just kicked in the jaw. He was starting to get back up so I quickly appeared in front of him and punched him in the throat, effectively adding 2 down to the list.

I'm not able to celebrate my victory as arms lock around my body restraining me. A gun shot sounds making my eyes widen as the shot didn't come from inside but...weren't there 4 men...

"NAGISA!"

With new found energy, I elbow the man in the ribs making him release me. Spinning around I kick his kneecap in, resulting in a blood curling scream before I shoved the heel of my palm against his nose causing a satisfying crunch to sound. Not wanting to waste any more time I grab the back of his neck and smash his face into my knee. I spun back toward the window and dove through it.

When I reached the bottom my eyes widen as Nagisa stares with mortified eyes into space, his back against the hood of the car. Rounding the vehicle my eyes falter at the lifeless form of the  4th man laying in front of nagisa who held a gun shakily in his hand. 

Thank goodness I taught him self defense.

Snatching the gun and shoving it in my hip, I cup the traumatized boys face with serious eyes.

"Listen, look at me!"

His contracted pupils finally shift to my face.

"I know this is hard for you but I need you to be brave for me. Can you do that Nagisa?" I ask firmly. He nods hesitantly after a second before I usher him quickly into the car as police sirens are heard from a distance. Tossing the dropped bag in the back, I hop in the car which I had left the keys in the ignition and peeled out of the alleyway narrowly avoiding the white police cruisers that pulled up moments later.

Once we were on the freeway I glance at the silent boy in the passenger seat with a sigh. It was  understandable for him to react this way; I mean it's not every day an 12 year old shoots someone in the face. Sure I had been exposed to the terrors of bloodshed at a much younger age then he was and had to grow up fast but he was different.

Nagisa wasn't built nor had the mentality for this life which often had me question if he would ever be ready to take over the gang, maybe the company but not the gang. He was naive at heart and despite being on the run for 2 years this was the first time we had actually encountered our hunters. Killing somebody whether ally or enemy was not as easy as it looked in the action movies. I wonder how long would I have to put the kid through this before this whole thing could be finally over.

Unfortunately, luck was never on my side.

|~Author-sama |
I finished my time series book so updates to this story won't be as slow as I thought but that's if you guys want me to keep doing it?