07. in the middle of the night

oceana | cameron

After eating dinner, I walked into my room and slid under the covers of my bed, as I continued to read some more

After eating dinner, I walked into my room and slid under the covers of my bed, as I continued to read some more. By 11:30 PM, I was already halfway through the book, and it kept getting better and better. The book was told through drawings and words, and I got to witness each world intertwining with one another.

It was simply beautiful.

As I continued to read, flipping through the pages, mesmerized, I heard my laptop chime. Someone had sent me an email, so I placed my book down, and this time, I made sure to slide my bookmark into the page that I left off at. Getting off of my bed, I picked up my laptop and sat right back down.

I clicked on the notification, surprised that anybody would be interested in sending me an e-mail this late at night.

From: aharp@mountainbrook.org

To: Oceana Bloom

Subject: It's about Cameron.

Hi, Oceana

Sorry for emailing you this late at night, I just assumed that you would be awake. Most high-schoolers are, at least that's how I was back when I was in high-school. Anyways, I wanted to thank you once again for helping Cameron out, I really appreciate it and I'm sure he does too.

I also let him know that you will be showing him around, and he offered to give you his number so that communication would be easier. I think I sent everybody in the class the roster with everybody's emails and phone numbers, so you can find it there. I just wanted to let you know that, and please figure out a date when you can start showing him around town. 

Thanks once again, 

Mrs. Harp

After reading her email, I went back into my inbox, looking for the roster that she sent us a couple of days ago. Once I found it, I searched for Cameron's information, and in a minute, I found his phone number.

I stared at it for at least three minutes, just wondering what I should do. Text him now or tomorrow? Texting him now seemed to be the better answer at the moment, so I grabbed my phone off of my white table. I opened up a new message, ready to text him, and then I hesitated. And, then it dawned on me on how stupid I was being. Texting him in the middle of the night, was a horrible idea.

My fingers, however, started typing away. After 5 attempts at trying to create a perfect sentence to text him, I gave up. Since, when was messaging someone so impossible? 

Well, now that it was Cameron, I was starting to see why.

I placed my phone back on my white table, plugging it into the charger, while I yawned and rubbed my eyes. As I opened my book, flipping through the pages to find the page where I left off at, I heard my phone chime. Leaning towards the white table, I unlocked my phone and was welcomed with a message from an unknown number.