05. a simple request

♥ please vote, comment, and share ♥

xoxo, Claire

"Um, yeah. I-is everything-g okay?" My nervous voice questioned, and I could only imagine the possibilities of what she wanted to talk to me about.  Once she finished wiping the whiteboards, she looked at me with a smile playing on her face and said,"Oceana, don't be nervous .. You're not in trouble, so get that worried look off of your face! I wanted to talk to you about something. And, I saw that you've already met Cameron Hyun, the young man that sat next you, right?"

I gave a small smile, and I could feel the warmth spreading across my cheeks,"Oh, Cameron, y-yeah. W-why?" I hopelessly tried to think about something else before I blushed even more.

"As you may already know, he's new here. He's my best friend's son, and he just moved here recently. Moving to a new school is usually quite hard, so I was wondering if you could show him around for a couple of weeks. You've lived in this town for a few years already, so I thought that you might know you're way around here pretty well. So, are you up for it?"

I was startled by her request, as simple as it seemed, my mind created a list of embarrassing things that would happen if I agreed. I didn't want to, I just couldn't. Mrs. Harp asked me? I was so shy, that Cameron could probably show himself around this town better than I could.

"Umm .. Mrs. Harp, I-I can't. I don't even k-know him that well .. I'd scare him away..!"

And, she started to laugh, as she said,"Oceana, you couldn't scare away a fly, even if you tried! I know you don't want to do it. But, sweetheart, I trust you a lot, and I want you to be the one to make him feel at home here. Please, Oceana." Her eyes glistened a bit, and I saw how much she wanted me to help out. It was ridiculous, but I decided to agree to this incredibly stupid request.

Taking a deep breath, I said,"Fine. I'll help you. It's only for a couple of weeks, I guess it'll be okay." As the last words left my mouth, I was met with a hug and a happy smile. She thanked me over and over again, as we put away the canvases into the closet.

Once we finished, I took my black backpack, and walked out of the classroom waving goodbye. As I was walking back home, the thoughts that ran through my mind had Cameron written all over it.