Worst of the Romance tropes and Cliches

There are many romance cliches and tropes. Some of them are great and others are just overused. Today I'll be talking about the worst of the worst. The ones that could ruin your story.

Starting with number one. This cliche is found everywhere. When done correctly it spiced things up. When done poorly your story falls apart. I'm talking about girl meeting guy and they both hate each other. Now this can be used in a successful way when done correctly. But, it is hard to use this cliche without taking from the plot. Some common shows you fill find that have this is Sailor Moon, Frozen, Toradora, Percy Jackson, and Smallville. The hate, love cliche as I call it can add that push and pull that is needed for romance. But, it can be used in a poor effort. Sometimes the hate love relationship takes away from the plot. For example Once Upon a Time uses it. Both with Snow White's tale and Emma's tale. Emma's relationship gives nothing to the over all plot. But Snow's does, it gives an important background and adds to the plot.

The next one is kinda of a bitter one. I'm evil cause my lover died or doesn't love me back. Many writers who right romance want to give their character a dark backstory. Often times they use a death or betrayal of a lover go make a bitter and cold villain. For example Malfacient became evil and bitter when her lover cut her wings and left to become king and marry another woman. This cliche is overused and doesn't anymore give you character the depth your looking for.

Next up on the list is forbidden love. This is a very common trope. So many books, show, and movies have used it. Sailor Moon, The little mermaid, pocahantus, Frozen, and Beauty and the Beast.  Now one of the most famous stories of this trope is Romeo and Juliet. The problem with this trope is it is a go to romance device. In its own way it is romantic. The plot includes trying to make a life with a person you can't be with only because you are forbidden. But it is so overused that it gets boring fast. Especially when you see it over and over again.

Last but not least the one and only it's true love. It's true love is seen in almost every Disney princess movie and so many animes and shows. If there is a lose thread or a plot unexplained everyone's go to is it is true love,fate,and destiny. This cliche isn't bad but it's not good either. It is just way to overused. I mean almost all romance books has this element of its fate. Using fate is okay but it should go somehow into your plot. It shouldn't be used as a way to explain logic or an unexplained inconsistency.