Chapter Eighteen

Whoa. Chapter seventeen was about 1000 words long and this chapter is about 800 words. For me, it's difficult to extend the length of chapters, so that also explains why chapter one is about 500 words.

The next day arrives. Ralph, Felix, the Nicelanders, and the bonus level characters are still in Fix-It Felix Jr. They overheard Mr.Litwak talking on the phone again last night. He told a man on the other end of the phone that the man should come when the arcade closes to haul out the game console. So, the characters in Fix-It Felix Jr have one chance left today to collect as many quarters as possible.

Soon enough, the arcade closes. As soon as the announcement on the PA system is made, all the characters in Fix-It Felix Jr bolt out of the game. Their luggage and essential items they packed last night are already waiting for them in Game Central Station. They prepared for today. They're ready.

When Ralph, Felix, and the rest of the group arrive at the station, a tall man steps into the arcade while rolling in a dolly with shiny red bars and black wheels. He'll use it to haul out Fix-It Felix Jr.

"Glad you could stop by, John," Mr.Litwak greets. He leads John to Fix-It Felix Jr. "Right this way."

Meanwhile in Station Three, The Nicelanders, the bonus level gang, Ralph, and Felix are gathered around Fix-It Felix Jr's outlet. They gaze into the outlet, waiting for what's about to come.

"Whatever happens, we had a great thirty-five years in our game, right?" Felix says. Everyone around him agrees in some sort of gesture or sentence. Just then, a multi-colored candy kart comes racing into the station with Vanellope driving it.

"I'm here!" Vanellope calls. She stops her kart by the outlet. "Did I miss anything?"

"Nope, you're just in time," Ralph answers. Vanellope steps out of her kart and she joins at Ralph's side. Ralph gently pats her on the back. Everyone's silent, and in just a minute or so bright red letters flash on the black screen above the outlet.

Attention: DO NOT ENTER, it reads. The words continue to blink on the screen as the plug slowly leaves the socket. It only takes a few seconds for the plug to be pulled. Now the socket is empty and white god rays once again fill the gaps in the outlet. It stays silent for a moment.

"You're right, Felix," Gene says. "We did have a great run. Thirty-five years is an extremely long time being plugged in, and we were very lucky to have a home that long." Everyone nods or does something to agree. "But, nothing lasts forever. All good things come to an end eventually. But being homeless now isn't going to stop us. We'll face every day with a smile, right?"

"Right," the Nicelanders respond. Felix tilts his head and smiles. Soon, everyone begins their mini conversations. Felix shimmies his way out of the crowd and he meets up with Ralph and Vanellope.

"Well, that was a major bummer," Felix says while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Yep," Ralph replies. "Tapper's?"

"Yeah!" Vanellope exclaims.

"I don't know," Felix responds. "The Nicelanders must be devastated. I should stick around with them."

"Then bring the Nicelanders with us," Ralph suggests. "We'll celebrate a job well done of thirty-five years of gameplay."

"You think that's a good idea?" Felix asks.

"Why wouldn't it be?" Ralph throws a question right back at him. "Come on, it'll cheer them all up."

Felix glances at the Nicelanders who are busy talking to each other behind him. He then looks at Vanellope who's giving him a thumbs-up.

"Oh, alright," Felix finally says. He turns around to face the Nicelanders. He has to speak up to get the them all to stop talking. He clears his throat, "Hey, uh, Ralph thought it would be a good idea to head over to Tapper's-grab a drink-celebrate a job well done of entertaining the people for thirty-five years. Would anyone care to join?"

"That's a swell idea," Gene comments. All the other Nicelanders agree along with the bonus level characters and soon enough the group is on their way to Tapper's.

"See? Told ya they'd like it," Ralph tells Felix while nudging Felix's shoulder.

"Yeah, we're gonna have a blast. You'll see," Vanellope adds. She glitches onto Ralph's shoulder so she doesn't have to walk all the way to Station 1, where Tapper's is.

"I know," Felix sighs.

"No, you didn't know," Vanellope teases. "You didn't wanna go."

"That rhymes," Ralph notes.

"No it didn't!" Vanellope argues.

"Yeah it did," Ralph grins.

"No it didn't."

"Yeah it did."

"No it didn't."

"No, it didn't."

"Yeah it di--wait, aw, shoot!" Vanellope crosses her arms and Ralph chuckles.

And the award for Best Poorly Written Chapter Even Though It Was Edited goes to... *gasp* ME!!!