• TUE OCT 9 •

~ this will all be over tonight ~

“It’ll be okay I promise”

The younger shook in fear as his brother grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the window. They had both snuck out of the house many times in their life, but Taehyung had never been more fearful of getting caught. He knew that this time things were different. This time if he was caught he would get more than just a slap on the wrists. Taehyung watched as Jimin slowly opened the window and peered out into the darkening street, pulling back once confirming that the coast was clear. He turned, hand already pulling at his hair, and placed his hand on Taehyung’s back.

“C’mon, Tae. Like when we were kids”

Tae didn’t want to. He wanted to go back to his room and dive under his blanket. He wanted to close his eyes, count to three and pretend like none of this was happening…but Tae trusted his older brother and knew better than to disobey him when he was being so serious. So, Taehyung buried the urge to retreat and took step after step until he finally climbed up onto the windowsill and was leaning forwards.

“Hyung…I don’t think I can do this…”

Jimin knew that his brother was scared – he empathised completely – but Jimin also knew that they had only a small window of opportunity to leave and that window was quickly closing. Jimin pulled his hand from his hair and eyed the locked bedroom door.

“Do you want me to go first? I could catch you”

Taehyung nodded eagerly and backed away, allowing his brother to take his place. Jimin peered down before setting his sights on his sibling.

“Taehyung, you have to jump after me, okay? I promise I’ll catch you but you must do it”

Once Jimin was happy with Taehyung’s agreement he took a deep breath and jumped from the window, landing with a dull thud and rolling across the grass to jump back onto his feet again. He looked up and gestured for Taehyung to follow.

“Okay…c’mon Tae…like when we were kids…”

It had been years since they had done this and Taehyung had always hated the fall – but he knew his brother was down there waiting for him and that made some of the nerves evaporate. He slowly climbed back onto the windowsill and nodded down to Jimin, who was waiting with open arms.

“One…two…t-”

“Taehyung! What the fuck do you think you’re doing?”

The boy froze, his legs dangling over the edge, and looked over his shoulder to see his father – key in hand – standing in the doorway. Taehyung shivered under the man’s hateful glare and knew now that there was no choice anymore. He had to do it.

“Taehyung! Kim Taehyung answer me, now!”

Jimin felt his heart stop when he heard his father’s voice and reached as high as he could – as if he could somehow grab his brother down himself.

“Tae! Tae jump! Please! I’ve got you!”

“Boy don’t even think about it!”

Their father had taken two large steps into the room, the loud sound intimidating the younger and causing him to whimper. Taehyung didn’t want to be punished again.

“I’m sorry”

He whimpered. His father was seconds too late and could do nothing but watch as Taehyung slid himself from the window and fell to the ground.

“Tae!”

Jimin had watched Tae fall and land roughly on his side. He had rushed to his brother and quickly helped him up – dragging him as fast as he could away from the house.

“Tae, we need to hurry, you understand?”

Tae nodded and took his brother’s hand. He trusted Jimin with his life and knew – deep down – that wherever Jimin took him now would be better than what they were leaving behind.

As both boys ran off into the darkness of the night they revelled in the sound of their father’s threats growing fainter and fainter until they stopped completely and they knew – for once in their lives – they were free.