19.A solution, an answer

Start from the beginning

He looks at us for a response. "Great job, Simon," Clary says and he beams at her, making Izzy huff with slight jealousy. "We need to figure out why these creatures are attacking us in the first place. They were calm all these years or at least that's what I think because I haven't ever seen them before, so why attack now?"

"Or they were in hiding, plotting and preparing for this day," Alec mutters softly but not soft enough to be unheard by us.

"Or maybe someone is leading them and convincing them to do this, provoking them to attack us," Magnus adds.

"I think we should take a page out of whosever diary that was and analyse the creatures. Maybe they are good or maybe not. So I think we should plan and observe them carefully before making any hasty moves," I say, tactically.

"Like spies!" Izzy and Clary squeal together and Clary blushes, looking so very cute. I immediately look away.

"But you've got to find them first," Aurora adds, entering the room, carrying a tray. She sets it on the table and a wonderful scent wafts its way to our noses. It smells like cake and all of our gazes are fixed on the tray. She notices our reaction and laughs, a bubbling sound. "You can have them, you know?"

As soon as she utters those words, we all jump and grab a piece of the cake. I take a bite of it and it melts into my mouth. The cake is so soft and it tastes amazing. The flavour is-

My thoughts are interrupted by Magnus, "If we work together we can track them," he says looking at Aurora.

"Yeah, it'll be like old times," she says, smiling at her friend.

***

The sun has almost set and it's dark outside. I can't believe we spent the whole day here! The entire room is illuminated by candles placed on the ground. They have been placed in a circle like formation with lines joining them together. The windows are closed and dark red curtains are drawn to prevent the candles from being extinguished by the wind.

Magnus and Aurora are standing inside it, facing each other. Aurora holds out her hands, palms facing upward. "Ready?"

"Always," Magnus replies confidently. He doesn't look like the glittery partier now, no he looks like a strong, powerful and wise old warlock. He puts his hands in hers and they both shut their eyes. They begin whispering the words of the spell and we watch spellbound (*wink* pun unintended). The flames of the candles rise higher with their voices rising.

Clary takes a step back as the flames rise even higher. We all follow suit. There is a light shining from both Magnus's and Aurora's hands. Blue and red light merging together to form a mesmerising purple. All our eyes are glued to the spell, completely transfixed by the beauty in front of us. Their hands glow brighter as the flames rise higher and their voices grow louder. Just when the flames nearly lick the surface of the ceiling, they stop abruptly and the fire is extinguished. Both Magnus and Aurora open their eyes and get a dazed look in them, as though they are not really here but somewhere else. The room turns pitch black and all we hear are two soft thuds.

A dull silver light from the moon pours in, when Izzy pulls the curtains and we see Magnus and Aurora lying on the floor. Their bodies are shining slightly silver from the moonlight and it clearly shows how tired they both are. Only now do I notice the shimmering beads of sweat on their foreheads.

Alec rushes to Magnus immediately and picks him up easily. Being the next one to get out of this trance, I pick Aurora up and follow Alec out of this room. He walks a little further and finds an empty room. He places Magnus on the bed gently and places his hand on Magnus's forehead to check if he has a fever. His relieved sigh reassures me that Magnus doesn't have a fever.