29: Not So Far Gone

Detective Blake finished slipping a note down into the sewers where the entire police force save for a few cops were, and quickly made himself appear inconspicuous, nothing more than a citizen. His hands were shoved into his pockets to keep warm, and he kept his head hanging low to make sure no one got a good look at his face. Those giant tank-like vehicles that once belonged to the Batman rolled through the streets, which were filling up with snow, drove by and Blake ducked into an alley that it couldn't possibly fit down.

Sliding through a gate that wasn't locked, Blake ended up one street over, looking left and right before crossing again. He was heading back to his own place, which hadn't been raided because cops didn't make a lot of money. Though in Gotham they were always overworked, they had also been underpaid before all this. Now no one was being paid, everything came down to bartering. He himself needed something from the grocery store, but was always worried he would be caught each time he forced himself to go.

With a toque pulled over his head, he sauntered down to the grocery store, or what was left of it. Sliding through the shattered front doors, he took a glance at the shelves. They were nearly bare, and then he spotted the hungry looking families, huddled with their kids. Shame spread through his veins as he realized that he couldn't save them, he couldn't save anyone.

He had failed his duty as a cop.

Blake left the grocery store in a sprint, not caring if he looked suspicious.

And that's when he spotted her.

She wore a long black pea coat, with her hands neatly tucked into the pockets. Her hair had grown longer since the last time he had noticed her, way back when Gordon was put in the hospital due to his run-in with Bane. The attack on the hospital, she had been there. She had been a part of it. Then he saw her again as she stood next to Bane, more than once.

Blake wanted to withdraw his weapon and shoot her down, because it would hurt Bane.

But he remembered what Clara Rós had begged of him, to save her daughter. Somehow, even though he did not really know Clara Rós, he felt that he had failed so many people in his life and he simply couldn't add her to the list. He had to at least try before he shot down the woman's daughter in cold blood, that would make him no better than Bane. So Blake shook off the snow that had built up on his shoulders, and approached her.

"Miss Rós?" He spoke gently, trying not to scare her and hoping that she wasn't with anyone. He was surprised to see her alone, when she carried a large target on her back.

Bría turned at the sound of her name, tentative in her movements but still facing Blake nonetheless. "Yes?"

"You don't know who I am, and I think we should keep it that way," he led with that, hoping she wouldn't ask questions. Looking into her eyes before, he had seen someone who was conflicted, someone who wanted to be honest and good. Now, he saw nothing but beauty and malice. "I just have a few questions, please."

"I'm running late."

"For what? Gotham is in shambles, there is nothing to be late for." His tone came off as accusatory, mocking.

She arched an eyebrow, "Alright, kid, what sort of questions do you have? Make it quick."

"This city is going to blow, in one month's time. I need to know why you support this? Do you know? Do you know that everything Bane is doing is just a game, and in the end none of it will mean anything?"

"None of it will mean anything? Every human being on the planet is watching Gotham, every single person is learning from Gotham. Of course it means something."

"Terrorism doesn't make an impact like that, people see it and hate it, they don't learn from it," Blake argued. Then he pressed his thumb and index finger to his temples. Dropping his hand, he said, "Look, I'm not here to debate ethics, okay? I'm here because someone very important to you asked me to."

"There is no one of importance to me," she replied coolly.

"I'm talking about your mother."

Bría tensed, trying to hide it but failing to elude Blake.

"I haven't seen my mother in years, she doesn't know me anymore."

"You can lie to Bane, you can lie to the cameras, you can lie to me, but she still see's you. She see's goodness in you, Miss Rós. She begged me to keep you safe."

"From what?"

"From yourself."

"I don't need saving, I appreciate your righteousness, but it would be better directed elsewhere."

"You're not so far gone-"

"I am," she cut him off, then carried on her way.

But as Blake watched her disappear, walking down that street, he saw her shoulders were hunched. He had gotten through one of her layers, peeled it back, and made her think about the consequences of her decisions. He hoped it was enough, for she was the only one who could stop Bane now. 

Hopefully this chapter stays up! What I have noticed is that Wattpad deletes chapters and then reuploads them 24 hours later.