16: The Rich and Powerful

Bría clutched onto Bane with a nervous anticipation as they moved slowly through with the walking crowd. The light from outside the front doors was flooding in, meaning they were close to their exit. As the crowd filed out, the police thrown off by what was happening, the engines of the motorcycles revved. All of the people began to scatter as those on the bikes ripped through the crowd, emerging onto the police-riddled road. The police avoided firing, the hostage plan working out perfectly.

Bane led the pack, heading towards the right and quickly clearing the blockades that they had put up. Once on the main drag, all of the bikes roared at top speed, zigzagging effortlessly through cars as the police behind tried to keep up in their bulky cars. The flashing lights and sounds of sirens was behind them, but the cops could not catch up. One shot was fired and it ripped through the air, grazing Bane's arm.

Over the roar of everything, Bría couldn't hear if Bane had shouted in pain. The only signs that he had been hit was the slight waver of the bike, wobbling. Bría clutched tighter, hoping Bane would go faster; the police fired at him, and only him. She wondered if perhaps they had been tipped off that she was part of Bane's plan, that she was not actually a hostage. Bane appeared to realize this as well, and sped up.

Suddenly all of the lights in the tunnel shut off, not even the headlights of the cars were illuminated anymore. They swiftly came back on, but with the appearance of the light there was something else. Another presence, silent in a terrifying way. Bane glanced over his shoulder and saw the Batman, his motorcycle far superior. It would not take long for Batman to catch up to them, to wipe them all out, but Bane showed now fear.

One by one they were plucked off, but Bane was too far ahead. The man with the computer which was breaking into all of the information of the stock exchange was Batman's next target, but the police were now targeting the Batman. Instead of focusing their efforts on Bane, where they should have been targeting, they began pursuing Batman.

Bane pulled off to a side road quickly, the last of the motorcycles, the only ones who survived the onslaught by Batman. Bane pulled the motorcycle to a stop, watching as Batman took out the man with the computer. It didn't matter, however, for the process had long since completed.

"Bane, you're hurt," Bría told him, wondering if he could even feel it with how much anesthetic was pumping through his system.

He said nothing, but revved the engine and pulled back onto the road, tearing off to disappear while the police were still distracted. They did not go back to the sewers, however, and Bría didn't know where they were headed. She simply held on to Bane as he tore down the streets, weaving through traffic effortlessly now for he had no one after him anymore.

The sirens could be heard all throughout the city, thousands of cops after one man, the wrong man. Bría wondered what was running through their minds that they would go so far as taking their entire force away from Bane, the real villain to the city, and pursue the man who allegedly killed Harvey Dent. It was a mystery to Bría, but then again, she had come out unscathed just as Bane had promised.

They pulled up at a large skyscraper, the sort of place Bría never would have imagined herself being allowed into. Bane hid the motorcycle from sight in the parkade, his other men waiting for him. They fit as many men as they could into the spacious elevator, it clunked at it adjusted to the immense weight inside, and then it began to pull them to the top floor.

It was this that made Bría nervous; she was out of place among the rich and powerful. 

I wrote about five chapters last night! A great way to end the year. Did you do anything fun for New Year's Eve?

Also super happy this book almost hit 1000 reads last night! I'm thinking it'll get there today! Thanks for everyone who votes, comments, adds to reading lists, I love you guys!

New cover created by AFleetingDream_91 !