Chapter 38 - Please Stay

Start from the beginning

Nathaniel took a deep breath before he started. "Tonight, you will be escorted back to the castle, it's for your own safety just until all of this is over. It's the Blood Moon, the werewolves will attack tonight, they have already gathered and are preparing to advance on the capital. Our troops will meet them outside the city, you and the rest will be safe here."

"What? What-" 

"Wait. Just, hear me out. I know this is difficult for you. But we have little choice, if we don't act many of my people will die. This is war. There are no winners, only those who lose less. Please, don't hate me."

Arabella kept silent, biting her lip down hard.

"Ara, please, look at me. Everything will be okay in the end. Whatever happens has already been decided. With or without me, you will be happy."

"No, don't say that. Don't go Nathaniel. I don't want them to hurt you... And I don't want you to hurt them either." Ara pleaded.

"I have to, I'm their King."

"None of that matters. Just stay here with me, please. I don't want to lose you."

"If I don't defeat them, I will lose you. They will take you back, don't you see?"

"I won't go. Call a truce, I will stay here with you I promise." Ara begged, uncontrollable tears starting to spill from her eyes. "You don't have to do this."

"Ara

"Ara...." Nathaniel cupped her face in his hands, "It's not that simple."

"Okay, then run away with me. Let's go, we'll leave this place. We'll go where werewolves and vampires coexist. There are still cities like that - Benjamin told me. Please Nathaniel, we can do this together."

Nathaniel played with the thought for a moment, his heart torn in conflict. If he left, he would be abandoning everything and everyone. All the lives that depended on him, the burden that he has carried for centuries - could he simply let it go? But the thought of a life with her, his greatest and only love, a happy life free of worries - that was all he could ask for. 

"Please Nathaniel, let's go to all the places you told me about." Ara grabbed his hands tightly, as if it was the last time she could hold them. "I don't care about anything else anymore Nathaniel, you are the only family I have left. I'm selfish, I can't lose you." She cried in realisation. "You're my mate...."

Nathaniel's heart broke at the sight of her sobbing. "Ara... You won't lose me, I'll come back to you. I promise."

"No... You won't... You don't understand, I can feel their strength, they will defeat you." 

Nathaniel felt a lump in his throat, "You can feel it?"

Ara nodded, "Please, we can leave this Godforsaken place. I'm tired of the fighting, the deaths, the pain. Aren't you?"

"I am. I want to. But I can't. If I leave now, millions will die because of me. I can't give up on them."

"No no no please Nathaniel!" Ara sobbed, falling to her knees. "I can't lose you. I can't bear the thought, I love you too much."

Nathaniel scooped her in his arms, as she sobbed into his chest clinging onto him tightly. "You won't lose me. I will be fine. Everything will be fine." This was proving harder than he imagined, he hated the tears he was causing, but at the same time his heart felt full to be loved so deeply by her.

(Play this song "Apocalypse - Cigarettes After Sex) as you read the rest of this chapter for a better effect)

They held each other until the sun started to set, marking the time that Nathaniel had to leave. Arabella's eyes were puffy from the tears. She was exhausted but refused to sleep because she knew that was when Nathaniel would slip away and she might never hold him again. 

"One last time. One last chance. Stay," She whispered as they were drawled out on the bed, their faces close to each other. 

He shut his eyes, his eyebrows furrowing, "I'm sorry." was all he managed to let out.

A final tear slipped from her eyes as she nodded, pulling him closer in for one last kiss. She felt his lips against hers, soft and gentle. He kissed her again on her neck, where he had left his mark, and it sent tingles down her spine. 

Then he left. And Ara felt like someone had punched all the air out of her. The treehouse once beautiful and bright, was dark and empty and cold. 

___________________________________________________

Made me so sad to write this chapter, but don't worry we're just getting to the exciting part of the story! Thank you all so much for following me here <3 

Don't forget to comment and vote, and thank you all  you beautiful people once again!

X,

w.s.d