Wakiya x Reader (Hunger Games AU; Angst)

In District 7

You stood firm where you were standing. Today was your district's Reaping Day. As always, you wore a cold, emotionless expression on your face, but this time, it didn't only conceal fear. 

It concealed sadness and pain.

Flashback to earlier

"Y/n! Tell him today! Before the reaping, or you might never get the chance!" your sister said while dressing for the Reaping. She knew you liked Wakiya, and had told you ever since she found out to tell him or you might never get the chance. But you being yourself, decided to not tell him. After all, you were simply a poor lumberjack, sawing away at trees for a living.

But today, you awoke with a bad feeling, and decided to tell him how you felt. You smiled at your sister, and said, "Alright then! I'll do so, but if I want time, your need to help me with my hair. Is that alright with you?" She nodded eagerly, and pulled out her favorite ribbon, weaving it into your hair. "For good luck," she said.

Once she artfully arranged your hair, you left your small cottage and set out to find Wakiya before the Reaping. After searching for some time, you finally found him

With your friend, Violet Dennslie (if Violet is your name just change it okay? Okay). 

"Wakiya, if this is the day I'm taken to the Capitol, I want you to know that I,  I'm in l-love with you," she stuttered, a blush staining her cheeks, and a sad expression on her face.

You prayed God would have mercy on your already beaten heart, but apparently he wasn't feeling generous today. "I love you too, Violet," he said and leaned towards her. Before their lips met, you ran away, tears flooding in your eyes.

You wiped them away. You would have time to cry after the reaping was over. For now, you had a sister to protect.

End of Flashback

The  person drawing the names approached the bowl filled with the girls' names. She swiftly picked a paper and opened it. Everyone in the district held their breath, waiting and hoping they were spared for one more year.

"Violet Dennslie."

Your breath caught in your throat. Violet, this year Violet could die. You heard Wakiya screaming, telling Violet not to step up. But as she walked towards the stage, you acted.

"Violet! Stop! I volunteer! I volunteer!" You ran through the crowd of people and rushed towards her. You stood as firm as the trees you cut down and pushed the terrified girl behind you. "I volunteer as District 7's female tribute," you boldly shouted for all to hear. You could feel everybody's shocked expressions on your back.

The drawer smiled. "Well, if she so eagerly wishes, come on up!" Once you were on the stage, she eagerly chirped, "What's your name dear?" 

"Y/n L/n." You answered, monotonous. You wanted to cry, but this wasn't the time. The rest of the Reaping was a blur, you remembered nothing of it. After the show was over, the Peacekepers led you into the Justice Building to say good bye to your loved ones. You watched your mother and sister weep, asking you why you had acted so rashly.

You couldn't answer. You simply told them, "Tell Violet to not make my sacrifice be in vain," and afterwards, you were dragged away to the train.

Away, to your demise.

(Timeskip)

This was it. Today was the first day of the 64th Annual Hunger Games. The Careers tried to break you.

You beat them down.

The desperate tried to fool you.

You pushed them away.