💕"Who's That Girl? (original version)💕

Comenzar desde el principio

Phae straightened up when the ref tossed her the ball from the sidelines. Their point, their serve.

She bounced the ball between her hands, eyeing her teammates. They were raring to go. They were all fight. None of them were giving in and none of them were giving up. She lifted her head and gave them a look. They knew the look.

"Who are we?"

Her girls dropped down low and bared their teeth, ready to fight. Ready to win.

"Wild girls!"

+

The Wild Girls played with no mercy. They'd been playing the game too long compared to the Thundbirds who'd only formed their team a couple of season before. The Wild Girls knew each other like twins, in each other's heads and back pockets, anticipating each and every thought before it was complete.

Hunter through herself into a controlled slide, executing an underhand dig that sent the ball careening back toward the middle court where Tré was waiting in her loud libero jersey. The Thunderbirds instinctively bunched together in front of Tré, anticipating and roof spike over the net. Tré smirked, spun and executed a firm, perfectly timed underhand pass back to Phaedra. There was nobody waiting on her end of the court. She took deep, perverse pleasure in tipping the ball right over the net.

It impacted on the parquet floor in a neat slap. The sound was deafening as it bounced once and then rolled off-court.

Point to Webber.

Roshelle Dumas, flushed on the other side of the net and pushed her players back into position for the next play. Her hair was sticking to her face and neck, the same as Phae's was, but Phaedra had a funny feeling it wasn't because Roshelle was loving the game.

Any dream of Gear City blowing Webber High out the water in an upset were over, but it would take them another hour to declare victory.

+

Xia threw her sign to the ground and threw her arms the second Phae launched herself into the stands. Phae picked her up and spun her around. Xia was burning hot after sitting high in the stands all game while Phae was even hotter from playing. Neither of them minded the heat. They definitely didn't mind the victory kissing. They were kind of sappy. They didn't mind that either.

"Hey, you."

"Hey." They exchanged goofy grins. Phae brushed Xia's hair out of her face. She never remembered to bring a hair tie.

"Having fun?"

Xia shrugged, shuffled them out of the aisle so other spectators could pass. "Watching my girlfriend smack a ball around is pretty cool." She still sounded surprised when the word girlfriend came out of her mouth. Phae intended to spend a long time helping her get used to it.

"Yeah, it's pretty boring." Phae had dated athletes; watching could be dull if you didn't love the game.

Xia cut her a disbelieving look. "Not that boring. You kept scoring." She realized she'd rhymed two seconds after she said the words. Her glare dared Phae to call attention to it.

"Was that a cheer?"

"Don't."

Phae tickled her sides just to feel her squirm. Xia had the best laugh. "Did my girlfriend write a cheer for me?"

"You're the worst, Phae. Leave it alone." Xia was turning red; cheeks, neck, ears. She always turned red when Phae teased her about how much she liked dating her, but Phae was just as bad—as Tré wouldn't stop telling her—because she liked dating Xia, too. Almost as much as she loved racing, driving, riding. Xia was her new thrill.