1. Night in New York

Jace sighed in frustration.

With the girls gone and Alec stuck in his room, the only one around his age was Simon. Yes, Jace warmed up to the guy. No, they weren't close. And Jace wasn't up for hearing what Simon and Izzy's relationship had been like for the past month.

"Then we kissed! And it was so-"

"No," Jace cut the vampire off rudely. "Sorry leech, but I don't want to hear what you and my sister have been doing begin closed doors."

Simon glowered. "I thought you stopped calling me that?"

"Well sorry then, Daylighter." Jace said rubbing his forehead.

"Better, yet I'm still-wait did you just say 'sorry'?" Simon's eyes widened. "Jace Herondale just apologised to me!"

The blonde narrowed his tawny eyes. "First off, my name is Jace LIGHTWOOD. Second, shut up."

"Wow," Simon crossed his arms as a childish smirk appeared on his face. "Clary has really done you some good."

In less than a second, the white pillow beside Jace was skilfully thrown towards Simon's direction. But with his new vampiric reflexes, Simon caught the pillow in his hands and threw it back at Jace. The throw caught Jace off guard and hit him square on the face.

The door clicked open as Maryse stepped in, a tray of food in her hands. She frowned at the sight before her. "Boys, please don't tell me you were just having a pillow fight?" Amusement sparkled in her sky blues. She gracefully walked over to the bed. As she placed the silver tray into Jace's lap, Simon started to cough.

"Psht! No!" Simon composed himself and muttered; "I'm going check up on...Church!"

"But Church doesn't like you!" Jace called after the fleeing figure. But since Simon used his vampire speed, he didn't hear a word of what Jace had just said. Rolling his amber eyes, Jace grabbed the sandwich from the tray Maryse had handed him. He took a bite.

•••

The trio came back to the Institute a few hours after they completed the mission. Clary was the new expert for Portal runes. All of them were utterly exhausted; Evie still shaken from her encounter with the Kuri demon.

As if on cue, Simon strolled into the living room, where the three girls had collapsed onto various pieces of furniture. He smirked at the sight; Clary was asleep on the couch, Izzy on a chair by the fireplace, whilst Evie lay face first on the floor. Of course, there was a rug.

"So, how was the trip?" No one replied. Clary still slept, Izzy still stared and Evie still...did what she was doing. "Is anyone gonna answer me?" He rolled his brown eyes at their ignorance. Simon took long strides until he was behind Izzy. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and kissed her blushing cheek. "You okay?"

Izzy nodded her head. "Yep. Just a little worn out, I guess." Her elegant fingers gripped Simon's sleeved and played with its wooly material. She released her hold on Simon as he picked her up and sat down. Izzy sat on Simon's lap. Their position changed so that Izzy was able to cuddle up against her vampire lover. Simon chuckled as he stroked her soft hair.

A loud groan came from the figure on the floor. "Shtahp viv fuh wuvee duvee shtuf!" The groaning continued.

It was at that specific moment that Alec decided to walk in, a pillow in his arms. His black brows furrowed at the sight of Evie on the floor. "What is she doing?"

"She's practically dying." Izzy murmured. Her arms wrapped themselves around Simon's neck, pulling him closer. "Leave her be."

Alec gazed at his sister and Simon in a yearning manner. He sighed then hauled himself to the couch. Unfortunately for him, Clary took up most of the space, despite her slight frame. Alec contemplated on whether or not he should push her off and sit on the couch or just drag himself back into his room. In the end, Alec decided on not doing either. Instead, he dropped to the floor beside Evie, mirroring her actions only he was facing upwards.