Nine: Under the Same Stars

Start from the beginning

"Hey, its called a bandage!" Ren raised his voice in defense. "The Wookie shot me in the gut!"

"Gee, I wonder why."

Ren dropped his grin, along with his chin to level his eyes on hers. "Don't get me started—"

"Too late for that."

Ren stayed silent and looked up to the sky as if he'll find his patience there.

Rey noticed Ren hug his arms around his torso. His gloved hands cup his elbows, tightening his grip around himself. Ren shifted between his feet, and for some reason he was keeping up slow movements. Rey may not personally be used to the cold, but she could surely tell when someone was shivering. "You're cold?" she asked him, as if she were surprised that he could feel anything in the first place.

"I guess," Ren said, "I just got out of the shower so my hair is still wet."

Rey lifted a brow, starting to get more curious about something. "You can feel the weather here?"

Ren stared at the sky, not thinking much of it as he remembered wiping drops of water off his face during one of their earlier incidences where she stood by the rain and he was somewhere completely dry. "Perks of the Force."

"You have to stop guessing or it'll drive me mad," she told him. "I've noticed we've never really discussed about the terms of. . .this." Rey lifted a finger, pointing between him to herself to indicate the connection between them.

"Didn't think you were invested as much as me."

Rey stepped forward, jabbing a finger in his direction. "Sorry for being distracted by the fact that at the other end was my enemy." If it weren't for the sound of her light tone, Ren would have had mistaken her words for hatred.

Ren stifled a laugh. "I guess we just learn as we go."

Rey looked up, remembering something. "Your uncle did have journals and books about the way of the Jedi. Maybe I can read about it."

"Go for it," Ren replied with bitter sarcasm.

Rey rolled her eyes and figured it was best to avoid this subject. She instead focused on his hair up close for herself, the same hair she's touched only once before. With barely any light outside, his hair—along with his attire—camouflaged with the night perfectly. His wavy streaks blended in with the background, it took her a while to notice the ends were still dripping with droplets of water. The hair at the top of his head looked about dry, though. The waves overall were finely combed back like they normally are. "I can't believe that's your natural hair."

Ren's brows furrowed. He dropped his gaze on the scavenger, confused.

It was his smirk that caused her to realize what she said. "Did I just said that out loud?"

In spite of that question, Ren raised a hand to his head and ran his fingers through it. "It's not easy as you think to keep it this way," he said, realizing how his words sounded self-absorbed without his intention.

"Coming from the man who always wore a helmet," Rey added, finding the irony of it amusing, just enough that she started laughing.

And for Ren, who watched her laughed freely, let out a single, faint laugh of his own. He began to recount every time he struggled with his hair after taking off his helmet. That and the sight of her laughing made the memories even funnier. Eventually, they both found themselves laughing together as if what she said was the funniest joke in the galaxy.