Chapter 39

Demi's POV

Carlie was in such a great mood after the sleepover. I'm really glad she's made some friends. The socializing is good for her.

We spent a good part of the Saturday at the grocery store. The girls were running out of food to take for lunch. They've gotten more comfortable telling me what they wanted since the first time I took them. The whole time we were there, Ella wanted to hold my hand. The past couple of days, she's seemed more distant towards Carlie. I didn't know what was going on between them, but they were definitely disagreeing about something.

We got home and after unloading the groceries, I decided it had been a long day and I didn't feel like cooking. "How about we go out for dinner?" I suggested.

"Yay!" Ella said, throwing her arms up in the air.

We went to our favorite little Cafe, which happened to be pretty close to the apartment. As usual, Ella got chicken strips and french fries. Carlie settled for a chicken caesar salad, and I ordered breakfast food. This place did breakfast at all times of the day, which is one of the reasons I love it so much.

"Thank you," Carlie said as we started the drive back home.

"You are absolutely welcome," I responded with a smile.

"Really, thank you for everything," she continued.

I tried to respond as normal as I could, but it was so odd to see Carlie being so nice to me. She's a good kid, I know, but most of the time she only speaks to me when it's absolutely necessary. I didn't know whether to be happy that she's finally getting comfortable, or if I should be worried that she's up to something. I'd be sure to keep a close eye on her the next few days.