Chapter 8

Demi's POV

I went back out of the office after a couple of hours to check on the girls. Ella's eyes were still glued to the TV while Carlie seemed to be lost in thought. I saw the empty place that once had a piece of toast on it, the one I gave to Carlie. I'm glad she had decided to eat it.

"Are you girls doing okay?" I asked, startling Carlie slightly.

"Yes," Ella said.

"Yes, Ma'am," Carlie murmured quietly.

"I'm sorry I don't have much for you to do," I said, noticing Ella was still focusing on the TV. "Ella doesn't seem to mind," I said with a chuckle. "But I don't want you to just be watching TV all of the time."

"Can I get my Barbie?" Ella asked, finally turning towards me. "It's in my room."

"I don't have a way to get in your apartment. "Can you wait until your dad comes back?"

She sighed before nodding.

"Well I've just got a few more hours of work, so I'll be done soon, then maybe we can go do something."

I left the girls to get back to work. Luckily, my job usually ends around lunch time. I'm so luckily to not have too many hits and be able to work from home. It's amazing.

Carlie's POV

After several more shows, Ella started to get bored. She sighed and looked at me. I just shrugged at her. I didn't know what to do.

"Why can't I get my Barbie?" She asked.

"Because it's in the other apartment, and it's locked."

"Do you think Dad will be home sooner now?"

"I hope," I said with a sigh.

After a while, Ella fell back asleep, and I did as well not long after.

Demi's POV

I finished my work just in time for lunch. When I walked out of my office, I found the girls sleeping together on the couch. I thought it was adorable. However, I did feel sorrow for Carlie. She looked so exhausted, like she hadn't slept in quite a while. I decided not to wake them, but not long after I started lunch, Ella appeared in the kitchen.

"Hey," I smiled at her. She responded with a small smile as she eyes the food I was working with. She acts like she never eats at home. I know her dad said getting food is expensive sometimes, but this child seems like she'll go a full day, maybe longer, without a meal. I prayed that wasn't the case.

Carlie also woke up right before I finished making our sandwiches. However, when I tried to give her one, she rejected it.

"No thank you," she said quietly.

"Why not?" Ella asked her before I could.

"I'm not hungry," she said with a shrug. I gave her a questioning look, but didn't push her to eat.

After lunch was finished, I decided to take them to the park. Letting them play outside should be good for them. They look as if they never get any sun.